It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Non-toxic deterent
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm 

We provide care to a small colony of feral cats that we have TNR. The only problem is that they tend to use my garden and flower beds
as a large litter box. I would like to put something out on the beds that would discourage this practice and not harm the cats or my organic
program. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Elaine

Post subject: Re: Non-toxic deterent
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:28 pm 

In the house I've heard of people putting crinkly paper or foil on potted plants to keep cats out, but in the garden that probably wouldn't work. If you can get a motion detector that would turn on a sprinkler or make a noise (there are quite a few animal repellents that work that way) or there is a product I found online called "cat scram." I suppose it works along the line of rabbit and all of the other "scram" products.

Scram for Cats Repellent - maybe someone will come along with another suggestion, but you might want to look for reviews of this products. Since the website says it is a mix of aromatic plant oils, you could also try your own mix to see what would chase them off. I'd start with red cedar chips and see if that smell isn't strong enough to deter them from using the garden.

My cats were house cats so I don't have much to offer as far as that experience. Every spring it seems after I dig up the beds one of the neighbor cats decides to try it out, but for whatever reason, maybe because I put down wood chips after I finish working on beds, after a time or two they move on and leave it alone.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:30 pm 

Thanks Northwesterner, I will check into it.
Elaine

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:39 pm 

Or you could put down lava rock in the bed. They hate that, but I don't like the way it looks. No one wins that way! :-/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:27 am 

Someone once suggested to me that I put lime peel down, also black pepper or cider vinegar.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:58 am 

This is a late reply. Do not use vinegar on a garden, only in a mix in small amounts. But to deter cats, try hair. Get some from a local barber shop and put it around the garden. Also, hot pepper flakes, powdered mustard. Or mix all three. I have used this and it does work.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:07 am 

Vinegar is a general herbicide and the table strength (5%) can damage plants. If the cat is accustomed to people, I question whether human hair will make a difference. I brush my dogs and keep the hair to put in the garden to keep rats and mice away from my ripening crops.

Here is a list of approved pest control products - see if any of these might work. And there sit is Scram for Cats.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 pm 

The human hair will chase "feral" cats. The original question was for feral cats, not domesticated. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:11 pm 

If you're feeding them they're not completely feral, they're depending on humans for food.