It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: girdled trunk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:55 pm 

I have a mature water oak that has a plastic coated wire around the trunk. The trunk has grown over it entirely except the the very end that sticks out of the trunk. Over the past two years, the leaves have become a light green. It started on one side of the tree and has now taken over the entire tree. There are some sign of roots girdling too. The arborist said with the wire in there, the tree will eventually die and cannot be saved. This is a huge tree and I love having it in my yard. Has anyone had experience with this and have any suggestions?

I appreciate any help! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: girdled trunk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:17 pm 

I've seen trees completely enclose chains, fences, wires, etc. It isn't necessarily a death sentence if the cambium grows back together over the wire. Can you post photos?

How old is "old"? Did you plant this tree, and can you also send a photo of the entire tree, with a good look at the base of it?

There is a sick tree treatment that is good on general principles, and there may be girdling roots if this tree once was in a black plastic pot from a nursery. You can size down digital photos to about 1000px wide that should fit on this site (it doesn't like very large photos, hence reducing it to 72dpi and making it screen size) or host them to an account like Flickr or Picasa or Photobucket. Link back from there using the IMG button.

Post subject: Re: girdled trunk
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:19 pm 

Thanks for your input! I will take photos and post in the next few days.