It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:58 am 

What is the best organic method of spraying or sprinkling my plants to rid my garden of these pesky grasshoppers?

Post subject: Re: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:42 am 

I used Nolo bait when they were very small, but the trouble is that big grasshoppers travel so killing them on the property doesn't protect the garden from your neighbors' grasshoppers, so I wouldn't waste my time with bait next time. I have been painting my garden white with the slurry of kaolin clay in water (I add an ounce of orange oil as a surfactant, but it may already have one - the product is 95% clay).

This stuff is expensive - about $65 for a 25 pound bag. It will probably last me a couple of years, so it will prorate out. In a bucket I mix about 3 cups in a quart of water (let it sink before you try mixing it - I use a kitchen whisk) and when it is mixed add another three quarts to have what looks like a gallon of white paint that I pour into the backpack pump sprayer. It does a pretty good job of staying mixed if you spray it right away, but if you put it down for any time you should agitate it. Use as fine a spray as you can to coat the leaves just to the point where it will drip (you don't want it running off). When it dries I'm guessing there is a mild bond to the leaves - a little water or rain sprayed after it is dried won't wash it off. You have to redo it every week or two. I sprayed my garden for the first time last week and need to do it again this weekend. I think every 2 weeks is optimal, but I had a short heavy rainstorm go over the area and take some of it off a couple of days ago. Also, there are new leaves that are bright green in the mix of white.

The grasshoppers are everywhere, but they are repelled by this clay coating. As are some other bugs. I don't know if this slows down plant growth (it is blocking the leaves from a lot of direct sunlight, and it can slow ripening.)

Post subject: Re: Grasshoppers
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:25 pm 

Thanks. I saw a site that suggested DE mixed w/water and black strap molasses. Also, sprinkle kitchen flour on leaves. I tried both and the flour works the best. I was considering sprinkling DE (like I did w/the flour) and see if that works.