It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: overrun by weekds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:58 am 

I usually have a beautiful yard and I do the molasses and alfalfa or poultry fertilizers. This year my yard is being overrun by Henbit and fescue clumps. They have choked out my yard and I try to dig them up. Hebit is easy to get if they are solitary. once the get a hold it's hard to find the root stem. Now when I pull these weeds out, I have just dirt. It has killed my grass. What can I do? I don't want to have to replant sod. It's only 4 years old. Also, clover is taking over areas. We've had a shady year so far and it's letting them get inundated. HELP!!

Post subject: Re: overrun by weekds
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:37 pm 

I can help but I need to know a little more about your situation to know what to correct.

What kind of grass do you have?

Where do you live?

How high/low do you mow?

How long do you water and how often?

What fertilizers have you used in the past year and when did you use them?

Is there any shade over the area?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:14 am 

I live in Kennedale, TX and have bermuda grass. I usually water deep a couple times a week. I use the corn gluten as premergent (didn't work this year) and throughout the summer I will do the Nature's Guide alfalfa or poultry fertilizer and sometimes also do the dried molasses. At the first of the summer, I scalp the yard short and by the end of summer I'm mowing much higher. Realistically if I could mow twice a week, then I could keep it lower, but... There is some shade during the spring when things are coming in. Later in the spring/summer, it is usally sunnier. I'd hate to have bermuda in the front and st. augustine in the back. I don't usually have that much shade.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:53 pm 

You are watering too often. You should be watering no more than once per week this time of year. In the cool months leading up to the heat, no more than once every 2 or 3 weeks. In the winter once a month is fine. Your weed problem is due to the frequent watering.

If you have shade, the easiest grass to grow is St Augustine. It is much easier to grow than any of the other southern grasses. Bermuda will not live in shade. It gets thin and thin turf is just asking to have weeds come in. If you have common (or seeded) bermuda, then I would bring in St Augustine for the shade. Then the issue is with mowing. St Aug needs to be mowed high while bermuda needs to be mowed low for the best density.

If you have sodded bermuda, then for the shade you could try a grass called Shadow Turf. It was developed by Texas Tech and the Turffalo company. It can grow in fairly dense shade and it looks very much like sodded bermuda.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:37 am 

I think perhaps you made the same mistake I did by scalping the turf. Bad idea as it exposes the dormant weed seeds to sunlight and causes them to germinate. Man, that made my weeds go crazy in spring. I did it once thinking it would help kick off the Bermuda but will never do it again. My biggest issue this year is Slender Aster. I keep pulling them up after each irrigation/rain but they keep coming.

Darryl

Organic since Jan 2010
Crape Mrytles Forever!