It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Prescott Valley newbie
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:01 pm 

Got a lot of Aphids and heard DD on radio. Hoping to find some solutions. Also new to using organic stuff. Heard somewhere that there is some kind of oil mixture that could be put in the soil of my aspen tree and/or roses that during the winter will keep the apids away. All the leaves are off the aspen due to coming winter (20-52 degrees at the coldes) 5,000' altitude.
thanks, steve
😩

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:59 pm 

Domant oil may be what you're thinking about. There is some information about it in the Organic Library.

Dormant Oil.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

where do you buy Dormant Oil?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:40 am 

Before you buy dormant oil you might want to examine the health of the trees in general. Were they planted in the landscape or did they grow there naturally? If they were planted, they may be too deep in the ground. If the root flare is buried this kind of smothers the tree and the aphids are a sign that the tree is in distress. The aphids are opportunistic, looking for the ailing plant.

How is the drainage around the trees, see how they are planted, and was any chemical fertilizer or product used around them? For example, if someone used one of the Scott's turf products near a tree that will kill trees. In an organic program there is no place for those big-name chemical fertilizers because they do a lot of damage to the soil and microorganisms and leave things out of balance.

I suggest you take some time and read through or listen to the videos in the Organic Guides (the link is found in the middle of the DirtDoctor.com home page). Look at bed prep, rose planting, sick tree treatment, etc. Get a handle on how this program works - it isn't just that we can name one non-chemical solution to the problem of aphids, it is a mindset that allows you to look at your yard holistically and know that if your lawn and your flower beds and your rough areas all have good biological diversity in the soil, the plants in those areas will be much healthier than in a chemical program.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:34 am 

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I will look at the pages you suggested.

The place we live is about 10 years old so most of the plants/trees are about that old. I will look at the roots on the Aspen I did add some mulch but not near the trunk. The fruit trees are all about 2 years old no real problems except one had a borer worm(?) which I used chemicals to get rid of, the 2nd yr of its presence we had about 30-40 peaches. The nectarine tree grew a lot blossoms but no fruit. late freeze may have been the cause will try Christmas lights to hopefully preclude this next spring. My landscapers uses some kind of mix on all my plants, I am sure it is not organic. I did use some ROUNDUP on weeds in the yard. When we moved in most the landscape was rocks with a weedguard mesh under the rocks.

I am not very holistally oriented but will give it my best effort. Thank you again for your input!
steve