It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New to organics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:09 pm 

Hello. From Denton. I've been listening to Howard Garrett for years. However, I didn't start the organic gardening until recently. Allow me to explain.

I've lived in Denton since 2004. Ever since moving into a brand new home with a brand new lawn, I have fought with this lawn to grow. The grass would look brown, or a dingy green color. (it's Bermuda) I tried all sorts of weed and feeds, chemical sprays, and even one year had Chemlawn come out. But nothing was really kickstarting it.

Then I decided, "Well, I've tried everything else, so why not try the organic approach?" Well, I'm glad I did! I am almost rid of my spider mites using just water and soap, and the Garrett Juice, and my lawn is starting to grow and thicken up now that I have stopped using chemicals. I spent over $150 on a single spider mite treatment that did NOTHING and soap and water spray did wonders!

Also, I finally tried vinegar for killing weeds. I sprayed this past Wednesday evening around 8:30pm. I went to work Thursday and came home yesterday evening and saw brown spots all over my yard. They were the clover that I sprayed the evening before! In less than 24 hours, the weeds were dead. I can't tell you all how much friggin money I've spent in the past on that weed killer you hookup to your hose and spray and that stuff did nothing.

Anyway, I probably sound like a fool. Big Howdy!

Post subject: Re: New to organics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:47 pm 

Welcome to the site, and to organic gardening!

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:47 am 

northwesterner wrote:

Sometimes getting started in organic gardening can seem expensive because of the various products needed to treat various pests or to build up the soil, but in the long run it is much more cost effective. Also keep in mind that how you water is very important. Water deeply less frequently and your lawn will establish deeper roots and withstand the hot weather much better.

Not to turn this political, but I always thought those organic types were nothing more than communist liberals.

Then I started doing my research on pesticides and applying common sense. Poison kills plants, what does it do to humans as we all know that washing under the faucet is not going to get rid of everything.

Now, I avoid any non-organic foods. I called into Howard's show a few weeks back just to let him know how totally awesome and right he is about organic solutions that actually work, versus the chemical business that makes things artificial, and in some cases dangerous to humans and pets.

I'm off my soapbox now, and hopefully I won't get banned for my rant. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm 

Welcome to the good life!
motc777 wrote:
northwesterner wrote:

Not to turn this political, but I always thought those organic types were nothing more than communist liberals.

Then I started doing my research on pesticides and applying common sense. Poison kills plants, what does it do to humans as we all know that washing under the faucet is not going to get rid of everything.

Now, I avoid any non-organic foods. I called into Howard's show a few weeks back just to let him know how totally awesome and right he is about organic solutions that actually work, versus the chemical business that makes things artificial, and in some cases dangerous to humans and pets.

l lol I am likely one of the most conservative (fiscally) people in this forum. You are quite diligent to do your homework and to not (mindlessly) take things that the current conventional say as "gospel."

That said, being conservative should be a good thing. right? ...as in the conservation of the planet in which we live. What say you?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:51 pm 

I too am new to organic lawn care...I would really like to make the Garrett juice but have not found a source for liquid humate. must it be ordered online ? Thanks for any information .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:43 am 

Nadine wrote:
Welcome to the good life!
motc777 wrote:
northwesterner wrote:

l lol I am likely one of the most conservative (fiscally) people in this forum. You are quite diligent to do your homework and to not (mindlessly) take things that the current conventional say as "gospel."

That said, being conservative should be a good thing. right? ...as in the conservation of the planet in which we live. What say you?

Agreed. Conservation is huge.