It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 am 

I read on this site Howard's guide to tree planting. Does it apply to all trees? I have some peach trees that I am about to plant is why I ask.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:38 pm 

Yes it does, and be very careful that you plant it so the root stock flare is well exposed, don't bury the root stock or the graft line.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:34 pm 

northwesterner wrote:
Yes it does, and be very careful that you plant it so the root stock flare is well exposed, don't bury the root stock or the graft line.

Right now it's in a pot we got from the store. So are you saying that when I plant it, the roots need to be exposed? What about the soil that it came with? I know I am supposed to knock enough of that off until I see the root bulb I believe it it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:52 pm 

The pot you have it is is probably already too deep with soil. The nurseries usually add more dirt as they move them from small pots to the larger ones the eventually sell them in.

When you are ready to plant the tree, have some compost tea and a large bucket or bin and mix water and compost tea then soak the tree roots for a while (maybe an hour, depending on the size of the pot) and loosen the dirt and any roots that are wrapped around. Carefully pull the dirt off the top of the root and look at the trunk - you need to have not only the graft exposed but the beginning of the flare visible. The hole you dig should be shallow enough that the tree flare should be level or a little above the surrounding soil when you fill the dirt back in around it.

Read this: Planting Trees Errors for a more thorough description.