It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: First Garden - Burn Pile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:37 am 

Out of the top section of my property I have carved out an area about 130 x 75.

Today before the rain hits I am going to finish soil prep and sawing of limbs of close trees such that I get as much light to the garden as possible.

I initially cleared the area and then piled up the brush and burned it.

Since then I have used the ripper teeth of my boxblade to rip the fire out of the entire area back and forth. The soil is very loose now. So much co it is hard to walk across.

I still, however, have this large area in the middle where the burn pile was. The areas is so heavily laden with ash that it is grey and smells of ash when I drive over it on the tractor.

Is it so "ashy" now that I need to dig it out and spread it over the whole garden then backfill the hole?

Will plants not like such a concentration of ash?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:18 am 

The ash won't be a problem if you spread it around (as long as you didn't also burn toxic stuff in the pile). It would have been better if you had used a chipper to make the branches into mulch, though burning is a natural process and does make some micro nutrients available to the plants. keep mulching in mind for next time. You'll have to make walking paths through the area, so perhaps if you designate that spot as a work area and spread some of the ash in the paths it'll work into the soil.

Are you scooping the soil in this plot into raised beds?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:37 am 

northwesterner wrote:
The ash won't be a problem if you spread it around (as long as you didn't also burn toxic stuff in the pile). It would have been better if you had used a chipper to make the branches into mulch, though burning is a natural process and does make some micro nutrients available to the plants. keep mulching in mind for next time. You'll have to make walking paths through the area, so perhaps if you designate that spot as a work area and spread some of the ash in the paths it'll work into the soil.

Are you scooping the soil in this plot into raised beds?

What ever you have told is not working in my garden.Can you tell the reason behind it,What it could be?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:30 am 

It could be that you had an advertising signature in your question and were simply hoping to post a free ad. That signature is gone, and if you still have a question, tell us more about your garden.