It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: pickling vinegar/10%
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:17 pm 

And you would pay $25 for a gallon of vinegar? The whole point of this discussion isn't the places that sell it for ludicrous prices, but to find reasonably priced grocery store pickling vinegar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:38 pm 

northwesterner wrote:
And you would pay $25 for a gallon of vinegar? The whole point of this discussion isn't the places that sell it for ludicrous prices, but to find reasonably priced grocery store pickling vinegar.

Hmmm ok - I thought the thread was to help people find sources of vinegar that were 10% or above. A gallon of vinegar would last me quite awhile so I don't find the total price of $24 for the convenience of having it delivered to my doorstep unreasonable.

I yield - The forum is yours.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:00 pm 

The forum is for lots of people to contribute to. If someone is desperate to get vinegar Amazon is there. I can go through a gallon in a day, easily, with a half-acre yard and a long border around the gardens. I bought 10 bottles at $2.75 a gallon a while ago, and I'm about out.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:38 am 

The 55 gallon drum of vinegar is sold by Sam's Club, but their site does not give the acid content of the product. The question was asked but never answered. I've asked Mizkan as well and got no answer, nor could anybody enlighten me as to why 10% food grade vinegar seems to have disappeared in the past year or so. I plan to keep digging until I get some answers. If anybody out there is a sam's club member (I'm not) maybe they can find the price of the 55gallon drum of Nakano white vinegar. I'm thinking that if there are several people in my area (or anybody's area) that could go together and split a barrel (store it in somebody's garage) it might be an economical way to get what we want. So far, it appears to be the ONLY way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:59 am 

I'd dug up contact information for the mother of all vinegar companies (pardon the pun!) - Fleischmann's. The web site is barely there, but I'll see what I can learn during the business week.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:50 pm 

I have tried the pickling vinegar, it kills them for a short while and then they come right back. The vinegar also kills other plants I don't wan dead. I really want to know what they are.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:32 pm 

You have to be careful how you use it, and it doesn't kill forever like the chemical pesticides. If you put a gallon on 10% vinegar in a sprayer and add a few ounces of orange oil you'll have a much more potent spray. Use a spray setting that lets you hit just the plants you want to kill, and you might use a piece of cardboard to place in front of any plants you don't want to hit with the spray.

Vinegar is an excellent organic gardening product, but you need to watch what you're doing, as with any product meant to kill weeds.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:23 pm 

Afternoon Sister :o) Eureka! Mizkan sells the 55 gallon of vinegar to Sam's Club and it's what they call 100 grain (=10%). Grocery store garden variety vinegar is 50 grain (=5%). Mizkan vinegar is sold under many private labels but evidently 10% is available at HEB (whoever they are) under the label Hill Country Fair, and US Foods, and at Cisco under some name that has "classic" in it. Lots of information at Mizkan 800 323 4358 from Quentin Turner who really knows his way around these products. Now I just have to see if I have any of those stores around me, or find half a dozen folks who want to share a barrel :o)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:40 pm 

Good work!

HEB is a supermarket in Central Texas and in outlying towns around the Metroplex. The closest one to me is in Burleson (south of Fort Worth). See if there is something near you: http://www.heb.com/find-a-store/find-a-store.jsp Central Market (a high end gourmet grocery ala Whole Foods) is owned by HEB but the last time I was there I looked and didn't see any pickling vinegar. I'll look again soon. I don't find a store named Cisco, but there is a town by that name.

A 55 gallon barrel of vinegar is going to weigh about 440 pounds, so transporting it is a challenge. The grocery store packaging is a lot more user friendly, so I hope those who want it are able to find it in the gallon size.

Tomorrow I should have an opportunity to check with the vinegar folks I've been researching. They may have additional resources, though from their web site it looks like they do a mix of high end flavored vinegars and the big industrial barrels. 10% may be a niche they have abandoned. I'll post when I find out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:58 pm 

While I was taking notes I spelled "Sysco" incorrectly. Makes me feel kind of stupid because when I finally figured it out I realized that I see their trucks here in this little village several times a week delivering supplies to restaurants. And I believe they're nationwide. It could be that my best bet would be adding what I want to the order of a local restaurant. Would sure beat wrestling a 55 gallon drum (of anything ) I sort of remember doing that with diesel fuel several lifetimes ago and I didn't like it much then :o)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:48 pm 

Do you think restaurants use stronger vinegar? I'd think they buy it at restaurant supply stores. I live very near Bassham's in Fort Worth, and am pretty sure I already checked out their vinegars and found 5%.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:36 am 

If I remember my conversation with Mizkan correctly, there are some restaurants that prefer to blend (or whatever it might be called) their own vinegar and use the 10% as a base. I suppose too that there may be cleaning jobs that are better done with the stronger stuff. I'll try to contact Sysco today to see if it is something they handle Also learned that the Ozark brand uses Mizkan vinegar. Didn't follow it up because I figured that Ozark sales and distribution might be regional and shipping costs to coastal Georgia would make it too expensive.