It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Battling Fusarium Wilt
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:58 pm 

This year has been a doozy for tomatoes in my Houston garden. The last crop that was enjoyed was while I was away on vacation, and it was the birds that enjoyed them. Since June 10th I have had zilch in terms of flowers or tomatos. What I have had is a ton of wilting. I've read previous posts and have looked at other sites and based on comparison of pictures I've got a nasty case of Fusarium Wilt on my hands. Obviously I am eager to solve it.

Here are some of the options I am struggling with.

- I could solarize it. It's still hot in Houston and I think this might help. I have some compost that I need to till in as the bin is full. Do I wait or till now? Will tilling make the Fusarium Wilt more difficult to eradicate?

- Controlled burn. I have one of those torches that are used for weed control and was thinking that if solarizing works, blow-torching the snot out of it would work better. But... I also have quite a few earthworms working for me and I don't want to...(sorry for the pun) fire them. Also, would solarizing hurt them?

- Are there any other organic methods out there that can target Fusarium Wilt?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:49 pm 

What I know about fusarium wilt I read just now on Wikipedia.

It looks like cleaning out the plants and leaf litter from the location is helpful. Whether you would want to compost this or put it in the trash is a question someone else may answer.

There are anti-fungal activities and treatments you can do in the garden. In other plants, spraying regular store-strength hydrogen peroxide treats powdery mildew (a fungus) - perhaps using it regularly on your tomatoes in that area. And look for resistant varieties of tomato to plant in the future. Sprinkling corn gluten meal (also antifungal) over the area might help, and there are copper fungicides that serve as arrows in the organic quiver that you might research.

Be sure your soil is well-drained and don't over-water.

This is an educated guess only. These are things that I do in regard to early blight in my tomatoes (and early blight is one of the reasons why it's a good idea not to water your tomato foliage when you water the plants, if you can manage it.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:37 pm 

This year appears to be a little bit better in terms of wilt. I've planted tomatoes in both the original location as well as a raised bed containing new dirt from Nature's Way Resources here in Houston. Funny thing is that my plants in the fresh dirt are worse off than in the old dirt. (all heirlooms)

I have been using Actinovate products after reading that they help to protect plants from one of the wilts. (can recall which one) I've also used Serenade for plants that appear to be wilting. That also appears to have an impact. The plants that continue to exhibit issues are pulled and tossed in the trash. The ones that are producing have organza bags places over the 'matos to keep the thieving birds and critters away from them.

The other issue I have is a neighbor whose trash trees back up to my fence and garden. These trees always have a ton white flies and I am wondering what I can do combat these. The problem is that I really don't want to mention this to her as she is already one of those maintainence-deferring types, and if she does happen to do something it will be with the most toxic mixtures of chemicals out there. (again, my garden backs up to her fence) I don't mind the trash trees as they protect my view from the "trash yard" I just want them to be a bit healthier.

Thoughts?