It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:44 pm 

I planted a Texas sage Silverado (Leucophyllum frutescens( about a month ago and watered it deeply for the first couple of weeks. I started to notice the leaves were turning yellow and wondered if I watered it too much. I have cut back on the watering a lot but the leaves are still turning and some are dead. This is not happening on the end of the branches yet, but I am afraid it is dying. I used tree and shrub dirt and the natural soil I planted it in. It gets plenty of sun (but not all day). It was a large shrub and I really hate to lose it. Help!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:51 am 

Water it weekly, but no more than that. Make sure you did not plant too deeply or have dirt piled up around the crown of the plant. It really needs at least 5-6 hrs of sun. It could just be transplant shock. Don't give up yet.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:02 pm 

I have the same plant, newly planted 8 weeks ago. on two one side is turning grey and "wiltie", and it seems to be spreading. The leave do not appear ready to fall off. Is this too much water as well? Plants are in direct sun, I water once a week, but the area may receive too much runoff from the hill behind me.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 pm 

Because of varying circumstances, no one can tell you by the description if it's too much or too little. Invest in a moisture meter and read how wet the soil is about 4-6" down. Water deeply weekly for the first year, or especially through its first summer. A sprinkler system is not going to deliver enough deep moisture to a root ball by itself. You may have to hand water too.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 am 

I used a meter, but there appears to be little to no difference between the ones who have the issue and the others - the moisture registers between "8" and a little over "10" with the latter being the two looking weak. I've pulled the mulch from around the root balls on all of them, and noted one of the weak ones is flowering.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:11 pm 

I have 2 silver ado sage bushes. They are very low maintenance and almost zero water. If this helps I received too much water this winter for them. They like it on the dry side. 1 time per week is the most I water them at about 1 inch. You probably have over watered them. Pull back the mulch and let them dry out. Once they do put the much back and adjust your watering according. Also make sure the flair is exposed. Both of mine were 3 inches too deep when I bought them, and all of the business around frisco have them planed too deep as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:26 pm 

If they're newly planted they will need more water than ones that are established. Make sure that you are not keeping them too wet (you didn't mention what the meter said) and they must be in full sun.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan