It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Wild grape vine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:45 pm 

I have a wild grape vine that started growing along the backyard fence. It has been awesome and beautiful. All of a sudden about 4 to 5 days ago, the leaves started wilting. It's almost like the stem was cut and then it started wilting, but the stem starts on the inside of the fence and I don't see any damage. Besides, it's protected. Anyone know anything about this. I love it and want it to grow. Actually, I didn't plant it - it just started growing.

Post subject: Re: Wild grape vine
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:46 am 

I would suggest surveying the neighborhood to find any more wild grape vines and take a look at them. It may simply be the time of year when they start dropping their leaves.

I had a large grape vine on my fence but didn't appreciate it at the time and cut it down. I haven't been able to get another one to grow as happily since. After discovering wild mustang grape vines on a tree across the road from my house I have harvested them annually for making jelly. I remind the city maintenance folks each time they decide to mow that area to leave the grapes alone (though I wouldn't mind if they could get rid of the adjacent poison ivy).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:06 pm 

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, we are the only one who has the vine. It just came up on it's own. I'm in Texas so I thought after enduring the hot Summer, it would be fine. It happened almost overnight.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:23 pm 

Where in Texas? I'll take a look at the vine across the road tomorrow and see how it is faring. This one is in Fort Worth.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:19 am 

I appreciate that (Ft. Worth). I'm in Frisco. You know, it reminds me of when someone sprayed with pesticides or something like that - immediately started dying. BUT, we are totally organic so that's not it.