It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:51 pm 

This past spring I had a row of rosemary planted along the top of a 5' retaining wall on the SW front of my house. Fully sun most of the day. During the summer I had three die suddenly. (they were random, and not all in one spot). Wrote that off to infant mortality or improper planting. However, today, I noticed that quite a number of the others have branches that are turning a brownish gray, and that the leaves on these branches, even when still green are looking wrinkly. Could this be freeze damage, water damage, a little varmint, or no big deal? :?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:23 pm 

I have some huge rosemary bushes in my yard and every so often I notice part of the plant doesn't look good, kind of like you describe. Some branches wither a bit. I'm not sure what it is, but I see little things (parasites? a rosemary version of mistletoe?) growing on the woody stem. I've just cut off the affected branches and the plant continued to thrive. You may need to prune the bad-looking portions.

I'm not sure what causes it, but rosemary is easy to grow, fast growing, evergreen, very hardy in this climate, and seems to be happy with benign neglect. Good luck with your plants.