It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:55 am 

Greetings from southern California.

Being the proud owner of a new home in a gated community with strict rules about what we can and can't do with our properties, I need advice as to what I can do to grow a garden in just a few square feet. I know I am not the only person living in a confined space, any ideas out there? In southern California there is no shortage of sunlight but there is a serious shortage of water.

I am considering the possibility of modifying the method of growing in pots and creating a vertical garden. Suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:33 pm 

Have you heard of square foot gardening? Building a raised bed with the intent of close plantings? I wouldn't use their potting mix, I'd use good garden soil and compost, and plant it so anything larger can grow off of the side and expand outward.

Wikipedia entry on square foot gardening.

The fellow who started this is Mel Bartholomew, and there was a program on PBS back in the 1980s.

Visit the Dirt Doctor organic guides for information about bed preparation and use the Library of Organic Information to find information on fertilizing, pest control, etc. and you should be fine.