It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fallen tree preservation
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am 

Hello!

I am trying to find a solution for a friend who lives in Arizona. One of her trees(a 120 year old palo verde) has died and fallen to the side as a result of the flood last year. She says the lizards and insects are still crawling all over it and she would like to preserve it to be a habitat for them. I'm looking at shellac, and she has a preference for oil-based shellac, but this stuff needs to stand up to the brutal Arizona summers. I was thinking something waxed based, but I don't want to go down any route if there is a better solution out there. TYIA!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:06 pm 

The tree as it decomposes is going to host a lot more wildlife than it will as a shellacked yard ornament. The beauty of the Arizona climate is the desiccating nature of the heat and dry air - the dead tree will be around for a very long time. If you cover the tree with a preservative you eliminate transactions through the bark and into the wood by bugs and their predators. I imagine the texture of the finished surface could even be problematic to some wildlife.

I would leave well enough alone and let the tree stay as it is. There will be plenty of wildlife using that valuable bit of shelter.