It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: GIRDLED TREE
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:44 am 

If those branches are dead they won't sprout leaves this spring, but let's watch through the growing season to see if the tree
sends out branches to fill in and those small dead ones drop off. Are there large dead branches, or just the smallest ones out
at the perimeter of the tree? Having someone take out the large dead branches toward the center of the tree will decrease
the possibility of a large branch dropping on someone in the yard or falling in wind and taking more of the healthy tree with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:12 pm 

Nice to hear from you, sir. The dead branches are less than the Ø of a pencil, and are only at the limb ends. I shot the dead limb ends in the newest picture. I started this post talking about the girdled root, which the arborist removed last year . The majority of the dead branch ends are on the side where the girdled root was! That would be the right hand side of the picture I took today.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:12 am 

I would leave them alone, and see if the tree fills in around them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:27 am 

I had my tree service come out in October 2013. He commented that the tree looked chloritic. He said he would add an ingredient to the compost extract fall deep root feeding . He suggested that I remove the dead limbs, which I did.

After much research, I found soil compaction may be my problem with this oak. I got a drill auger, and made 40 10" deep holes around the drip line.
Sure enough, the soil was wet and dense. the wet soil easily clumped, like play dough.

It had not raned for two weeks, and I haven't watered in two months. I filled the holes with a compost, topsoil, sulfur and iron mix. I only used 1 lb. of sulfur and iron, tring not to shock the tree with potentially harmful fertilizers

I then found out about air spade soil aeration. I had my tree service do that. He used the air spade throughout the entire root zone, and filled with a nice compost mix.

Right now (nov. 17th) 50% of the leaf canopy had dropped. The girdled root side has 80% leaf dropping.

I told my wife I'll never water the tree again. I'm awaiting spring to see what happens. I plan to drill more holes early next year, and fill with my mix.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:11 am 

Chlorotic is a general term to do with yellowing and can be for various reasons. Instead of adding iron (ironite isn't a part of the organic routine)
Texas greensand is a better option for future reference.

I've seen trees that I thought for sure were gonners respond well to surgical pruning of dead and dying branches and the use of the sick tree
treatment. And I agree, don't water that tree any more. You were killing it with kindness.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:25 pm 

I've read about the Texas greensand. I was going to do a mix again early next year. More drilled holes with compost, greensand, sulfur. I chose iron (Dr. Iron granules) because the PH was >7. I've just sent off this years soil sample to A&M for alalysis; I'll see what that says.

I'm at a loss. Tree service, regular deep root feeding. I watered less in 2013. I took care of the girdled root.
I'm now looking at a new live oak. I definately won't plant it myself. I suspect that's how it all started: I PLANTED THE TREE.

I appreciate all your advice. This had been going on since early 2012.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:16 pm 

The A&M lab will tell you what is in the soil. The Texas Plant and Soil lab runs a test that will tell you what nutrients are actually available to the plants.

http://www.texasplantandsoillab.com/contact.asp

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:49 am 

Thanks for that link. I read it, and understood some. Prior to that link I chose to send the soil to A&M. I did go down to 9" with a soil auger to collect the sample. Sure enough, high PH (7.7). What suprised me was the amount of nutrients in the soil. All of the nutrients (phosphorus, potassium, calcium, magensium, iron, zinc, magnanese and copper were either high or very high. Zero conductivity, very low nitrates. Sodium was also low. Adding iron, as previously stated, can actually hinder my efforts. Aluminum sulfate is what I read to be most effective.
I've finally tired of throwing big money at the tree. Wet/alkaline/ clay soil is what I have. Now I'm fearful of a new tree.
This is my plan: 10" deep holes filled with compost/sulfur/alumunium sulfate mix 'till I pass out. The only water the plot sees is when it falls from the sky. Extending the mulch ring out to the drip edge.
I hacked at that embedded girdled root with a chisel, now I see two large flares that were hidden in the earlier pics. I'm hoping that the air spade work helps.
My chainsaw is sharp. I've giving it one more year.........

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:48 am 

That tree knows who's boss. Maybe it will shape up by next fall at this time. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:48 pm 

Any updates on your tree?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:01 am 

Thanks for reminding me, I have some updates....
I had another arbhorist visit last Dec. He suggested removing the dead braches, which I did. I chiseled that big girdled root some more ( the one in the previous pics that was cut). After I was done I could better see the two root flares it was choking. I didn't water once thru the winter, and Dallas TX. didn't get much rain. As I said a a liitle earlier, I tried a hole auger with compost, sulfur and iron mix. Texas A&M soil analysis showed high PH (7.0+). It also showed plenty of nutrients in the soil. The tree is not taking them up, I suspect.

Today, every branch has growth, and it appears the yellow leaves are darker. I chose not to have a spring feeding done for the first time in 3 years. Another tree arborist said there is little hope, so if 2014 looks bad we may replace it.
I'll post pictures in another week or two. http://dallastexas.ezhoster.com/GIRDLED ... _TREE.html

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:20 am 

http://dallastexas.ezhoster.com/GIRDLED ... _TREE.html

Attachments:
MADISON_007_600x400.jpg
MADISON_007_600x400.jpg [ 54.72 KiB | Viewed 31900 times ]
004.JPG
004.JPG [ 252.42 KiB | Viewed 31912 times ]
002.JPG
002.JPG [ 143.31 KiB | Viewed 31913 times ]

Last edited by djbeckett on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: HISTORY
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:32 am 

Tree bought in whiteright, Texas, 1993. 5-10 gallon pot. Dug a small hole, didn't separate the girdling done by the pot. Twisted root ball went from pot to hole.

I did the mulch volcano for several years, which also supported nice white antique Chrysanthemums.

Once a week, 5 years ago: I would setup a impulse sprinkler at 6 p.m. and let it run until 7 a.m. the next day; . 2009-1993: didn't get as much water.

Discovered a root growing at the ground surface, 3' from the trunk while mowing, ≈2006. The mulch volcano hid the choking root, girdling was not in my vocabulary. I didn't think anything of it.

I contact three arborists, 2012. One said "no hope" over the phone. One never left his car. The third starting a feeding June of the same year.

Girdled root ball, mulch volcano with mums, excessive water

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:32 am 

Here it is, January 2015. There are still leaves on the tree. Certainly not every limb, but scattered throughout the tree. The leaves are still that light green, but I consider it living. I had the tree service deep root feed in mid-December, 2014. I await Springtime....

I walk through the neighboor hood often. WOW! I see several trees with the same condition, big roots wrapped around the trunk. Most of the trees are massive, so I don't know how they got away with it. I must have some severe girdling underground. I often wonder what a good air spade process would show. The tree service should have done that in the beginning. That tells me they don't care as much as they say.

I'm leaving it alone for another year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm 

If the houses were built around the same time the trees may have been planted by the same company and in the
same manner that allowed all of these trees to become girdled by their roots. Just a thought.