It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:02 am 

Opportunity exists for me to use poultry litter on a garden area(s0 that have had very little man made chemicals applied. Litter would be introduced for a production facility.

I wonder if the anti-biotics used in the poultry industry will (1) move through digestive stage and harm or concentrate in my garden(s), and (2) as I am fairly sure that poultry feeds contain GMO products; will the GMO bi-product(s) cause harm to my soil.

Have grown my own heirloom corn and want to produce sufficant small gains for chicken scratch. Needing a non-chemical fertilizer source.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am 

I don't think there is such a thing as a "pure play" any more when it comes to trying to avoid all chemicals that have been introduced to the supply chain for commercial food production that will eventually be converted for organic use. Be sure you compost that chicken manure before using it or you'll burn your crops. Composting helps break down a lot of nasty stuff also, though I don't know if it can be said that all chemicals or drugs are gone 100%.

GMO is a catchall term these days - not all of it is bad, and you can't get it all out of the food supply. The food has been broken down inside the birds and will be further broken down by the microorganisms in the compost and then finally in the garden soil.

Good luck with the project. This is probably the best outcome for the droppings from the birds at that plant. That's a good thing.