It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weeds
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:24 pm 

Terrible weeds. Used corn gluten this year. Very expensive. Didn't work so I need help. Will Image kill most weeds.

Post subject: Re: Weeds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:32 am 

Corn gluten meal has become an expensive luxury for a lot of organic gardeners. If there are too many weeds to pull mechanically (by hand or device) then you might want to look at using 10% vinegar and boost it with some orange oil. Spray it (undilted) on the weeds on a warm sunny day. There are commercial products - here is a 2012 newsletter with some of those suggestions.

Post subject: Re: Weeds
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:41 pm 

Thanks, Northwesterner. I can't begin to spray my yard with vinegar, there are too many weeds. and I feel it might kill the grass underneath. I think they are winter weeds and will go away when it gets hot. So unless they are the broadleaf and those little beasts with the seeds hanging off the end of the stems, I'm leaving them. Unfortunately I've tried the 10% vinegar it just doesn't work for me. If it's hot I use 15% (to save some money) and it works. I used that on my decomposed granite areas and it worked. I also got some Avenger (not Image as I inquired about in my post) for the broadleaf and it works like a charm and very quickly and don't need a warm day. So that's what I'm doing and having it mowed every week. I live in an HOA so they are always on the lookout to send you a notice or I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'd just keep it mowed.