It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:32 pm 

Not sure how this showed up in North Texas but I've been fighting it for 3 years and it keeps coming back. I've used 10% vinegar mixture. I stepped up to Graton last year although I was not happy about doing a complete field spraying with this. Extension services and fertilizer suppliers are advising me to kill out the fields completely with Roundup or similar product but I'm not going to do that. Does anyone have suggestions on what I can try? Keeping in mind I have 6 acres to treat now and a budget that's getting thin.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 pm 

Do you mean "Common MALLOW" (not "mellow") is the plant?

Attachment:
File comment: This is an open source photo from the Wikipedia commons.
Common_Mallow_(Malva_sylvestris)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_509459[1].jpg
Common_Mallow_(Malva_sylvestris)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_509459[1].jpg [ 93.88 KiB | Viewed 7703 times ]

If you look at this UC Davis report about the common mallows, it says there are no chemicals the homeowner can purchase that will control this plant.

Apparently planting things that will compete with it (in your area what would that be? Grass? Clover?) and before that, if you can, pull the plants before they have very many leaves. Tough on six acres. Maybe pay neighborhood kids with a bounty on the plant? (Do any kids in any neighborhoods want to work for money any more? But that's another topic. . . )

Quote:
MANAGEMENT

Mallow control in home gardens and landscapes is best accomplished by pulling out young plants. Because of the rapid development of the long tap root, this is best accomplished when the plant has four or fewer true leaves. The taproot gets woody as it matures and is very difficult to cut or pull out. Removing plants before they seed will help reduce the impact of the plant in coming years.
Mechanical Control

Mallows are best controlled mechanically by hoeing or pulling out young plants. Young mallow can also be killed by cutting them off at the crown, but older plants may resprout from the crown. If there are a large number of plants, shallow mechanical cultivation may be used when the plants are young. The cultivator should be set so that the blades or tines will pull the plants from the ground or cut the tap root below the soil level. Mowing is not an effective method of control because the plants have viable buds on the stems below the height of the mower blade. Common mallow tends to have a more prostrate growth habit so that species is even less affected by mowing.

Solarization is not effective for mallow control, nor is flaming.
Cultural Control

Cultural control can be done by planting competitive desirable plants in areas where mallow is a problem. The shade provided by these plants will reduce germination and growth of mallow seedlings. Mulches can also be effective. At least 3 inches of organic mulch, such as bark or wood chips, will make it physically difficult for the seedling to emerge and will screen out the amount of light that mallow requires to effectively sprout. However, the mulch must be maintained to ensure that it remains at the needed depth. Otherwise, the seedling can push through the mulch and become established.

I hope you find something here that will help.