It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ant ID
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:36 pm 

Hi,

I'm in Grapevine. These ants are currently in my house and were spotted outside about two weeks ago. They are larger than sugar ants.
Noticed inside late Friday, April 24 2015, after storm passed through. They are happily devouring a bag of organic, cane sugar-sweetened (expensive!) granola. Some move in a line to the granola and there are others that rove erratically. Crazy ants? Interesting post by froidar mentions argentine ants.. ? Any identification help would be appreciated.

Apologies for poor picture quality. They move very quickly.

Thanks

Attachments:
ants and penny.jpg
ants and penny.jpg [ 23.59 KiB | Viewed 7758 times ]
ant 4-25-15.jpg
ant 4-25-15.jpg [ 24.38 KiB | Viewed 7758 times ]

Post subject: Re: ant ID
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:36 am 

It has been a crazy 12 months for ants, and though they slowed during the coldest part of the year, I'm also seeing them come back like gangbusters.

I can't tell you what type of ant, but there are various ways to get rid of them. I had good luck with liquid Terro (I found it at Home Depot, it is a mix of water, sugar, and Borax). A large drop is placed on a slick small card and left in their path and they slurp it up and take it back to the mound, wherever it is. It takes a while, you have to be patient. Days patient.

I made a batch for myself from a recipe online. 1 cup of boiling water, 2 cups of white sugar, and when this simple syrup is dissolved, add 2 level Tablespoons of laundry (20 Mule Team) borax. Don't overdo the Borax - too much and the ants will ignore it. And don't boil the syrup long, if you reduce the liquid much it is too thick and the ants walk right over the drop instead of being able to suck some in.

I'll post some photos later.

Post subject: Re: ant ID
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:24 pm 

Thanks for your reply, northwesterner. I'll keep an eye out for your photos.

I put out the boric acid/sugar/water mix in stations this morning, as recommended in the 2014 Ant Control Newsletter. I've had success with the mix over the years for sugar ants.

The more I read about Argentine ants, the more I think that's what these may be. There are SO many of them. Today I found a second line of them outside leading up an exterior wall entering at the rafters (no soffit, old wood house). Also, with the dark, clay soil, my house shifts a lot. Probably created a new way in.

I most likely will have to call in a professional. It appears to be more than I can handle. Now, off to finding a reputable organic pro. ugh...

Still open to success stories if anyone has one. (I hope!)

Thanks

If anyone is interested:
Link to Clemson University> Argentine ants.
http://www.clemson.edu/cafls/department ... _hs42.html

Attachments:
File comment: Argentine ant. Photo credit: Stanford Univ. From Clemson U site
argentine_ants Clemson copy.jpg
argentine_ants Clemson copy.jpg [ 24.99 KiB | Viewed 7743 times ]