It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hello From North Alabama
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:04 am 

Hello everyone,

I am new here, to organic farming, and somewhat new to farming altogether. I am currently researching organic growing methods to create my organic plan for organic certification. I need this plan to help me in my business plan for my Aronia Orchard.
I know everyone is going Aronia what? Actually Aronia (chokeberry) is a native to the eastern side of the US but it has only been in the very distant past and the very recent past that they have been used much for what God placed them here for.

Native Americans ate them and used them for medical purposes long before European settlers came here. The settlers didn’t care much for their astringent (puckering) taste so they pulled them up and discarded them or ignored them altogether.

They were introduced to Eastern Europe in the late 1940’s and currently Poland is the Aronia capitol of the world. They were used by Russia as a vitamin c supplement. In the past 20 years scientist discovered that the Aronia is a superfood with the highest content of antioxidants known. So the market for Aronia in the US has been on a steady increase for the past 20 years.

They are mostly grown in Iowa, Nebraska and Wisconsin but also in the upper North east. I think they will grow here in North Alabama but with their chill hour requirement to produce fruit North Alabama is probably right on the edge of how far south they can actually be grown for production.

So now that you know my dream of becoming the Aronia King of the South I hope to learn and share here in this forum so that everyone can benefit.

I am mostly interested in organic topics but since I haven’t worked on a farm since I was a young man (long time ago) I may have conventional farm questions as well.
I hope all is well and God is blessing you all with bountiful fruits of your labor.

Aronia King of the South

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:07 am 

I forgot to give particulars.

I live in Moulton Alabama, I have a MBA from Texas A&M, I work at Redstone, I have a German wife, three sons that are 6'7" each. One plays college football and I have a daughter that is 10. We have a very sweet Pit/Mutt mixed female named lil bit and I love home grown tomatos.