It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 am 

I think these fellows are eating the leaves on my Cannas, Sweet Potato Vines and now my Crape Myrtle. Will Bonide All Seasons Horticultural & Dorman Spray Oil kill them? If not, please let me know what to use. Garlic Pepper tea didn't work.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:53 pm 

If you could post clear close up photos (difficult, I know) that would help.

Here is the label for the product you suggest. It says all seasons but clearly is meant mostly for the egg stages in the dormant season. It appears to be about 99% mineral oil.

I am having trouble with grasshoppers, though when I find the damage they aren't always on the plants. It helps to make a good identification of the pest before you start spraying.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:52 am 

Thanks so much for trying to help. I will try to get a picture. I went ahead and sprayed with it this AM when it was cool. Maybe it will help some. I, too, have grasshoppers. The nursery recommended nolo bait in the spring. Do you agree?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 am 

I've used Nolo bait when they're early, but it doesn't take long to realize that if you kill the small grasshopper on your property the big ones will travel from the neighbor's home to fill in the population. Nolo is expensive enough that I figured this is something I'll skip next time and move to the paint-like kaolin clay product.

I have Surround WP (kaolin clay) that I may apply this summer. A possibility of rain is predicted this weekend, and then I'd go ahead and mix it up. It can stay on through a few gentle rains and through irrigation, but last summer we had an unusually wet period that meant I couldn't reapply and the grasshoppers grew fat on my plants. When applied the garden turns white, it's like you're painting latex paint on all of all of the plants. But it does work.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:35 am 

I would never spray oil-based products on a plant when it's above 85 degrees. I think the label even says that. You'll burn the plants. Are you not sure these are the pests? Is it just cosmetic damage or are they killing the plants?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:45 am 

They're back this year. To add to the description they're kind of iridescent. Can't get a pic - they move too fast. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:54 am 

If you think they are eating your plants then a spray with a product containing spinosad should remove them, but be careful to apply only to those plants because it kills beneficial insects also.