It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:44 am 
Yesterday (10.19.04) some 'stuff' appeared in our 2 week old mulch and around in the lawn near it. It looked like some one had dumped the ice from their soft drink cup. When I tried to pick it up I was surprised to have it feel like Jello. What is this stuff? How do you get it? Should I be concerned about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:21 pm 

Usually most of the stuff growing and breeding in compost piles or natural mulches are in the bacteria and fungi classes. Most nitrogen sources breed various bacterial forms, while most carbon sources (like most mulches) feed various fungal forms. Most of the fungi growing in compost piles or in our rich organic soils are beneficial not harmful to your crops or to you.

Mushrooms growing in the lawn or garden, may look strange or bad to some folks, but it is a sign of rich high fungal humus or compost in or near the topsoil. It's as good thing! After a few weeks of regular foliar/soil drenching with compost tea recipes, it normally goes away.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: mold
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:50 pm 

It may be slime mold. Slime molds have the most hideous and obvious fruiting bodies. These bodies when moist, seemingly appear overnight, and look like dog vomitus. White, to gold, to pink, these bodies may dot a mulched area. They look ugly but are not dangerous.
A liquid lime mix sprinkled on the top of the mulch will suffice (Example: AGGRAND Lime Plus).

412 Bolivar St.

Sanger, TX 76266

Tues.- Fri. 9:30 to 5:30
Sat. 9:00 to 3:00
We will open up anytime day or night to serve you if we know you are coming!

940/458-2511

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:52 am 

I found this fungus on mulch, too. When I first saw it, I really thought someone had dumped a cup of ice. Then I noticed there were more of them. It was soft like jelly.

Attachment:
icefungus1.jpg
icefungus1.jpg [ 63.12 KiB | Viewed 86456 times ]

Attachment:
icefungus2.jpg
icefungus2.jpg [ 65.09 KiB | Viewed 86457 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:14 pm 

Interesting!

As others have stated, any type of mold or slime like that may be ugly to us, but it is still beneficial and useful to our sustainable soils and microbes in the soil and on our mulches.

If you like you can sprinkle a little dry molasses over it to speed up the decomposition and removal of the slime.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:34 am 

Oh, no, I love slime molds. :) I just would like to know if this has previously been identified, or what genus and species it might be.