It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:43 am 

I'm hoping someone can help.

I have a large Chinese pistache in my front yard. It receives plenty of sun and sufficient water; however, this summer it has done poorly.

It never put on the leaves that it had last year, the berry clusters (it's a female) were robust, but the berry's themselves are dropping like flies. Not the clusters, but the individual berries themselves, more like raisins, dried out.

There branches also have lighter spots all over them. I'm not sure that's normal or not.

It's only my 2nd summer at this address, but the tree looks drastically different now than the last two summers.

Help???

Attachments:
File comment: the lighter spots, closer up
Chinese-Pistache-(6)-resized.jpg
Chinese-Pistache-(6)-resized.jpg [ 117.62 KiB | Viewed 11642 times ]
Chinese-Pistache-(1)-resized.jpg
Chinese-Pistache-(1)-resized.jpg [ 195.39 KiB | Viewed 11642 times ]
File comment: view with the sparse leaves
Chinese-Pistache-(1)-(2)-resized.jpg
Chinese-Pistache-(1)-(2)-resized.jpg [ 170.16 KiB | Viewed 11642 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:32 pm 

How is the landscape managed in your yard? Are you practicing organic methods? One common reason trees fail like this is if "weed and feed" chemical products were spread in the yard and around the tree. The packages state not to use it near trees (shouldn't use it on the planet, but that's another topic!) but people fail to read the instructions and end up poisoning trees, which are broadleaf plants (something that the "weed" part of weed and feed is targeting).

Try the entire Sick Tree Treatment and if you did use a weed killer in the yard, consider putting out an application of zeolite.

Even organic gardeners have had a difficult year. We had a very wet spring, so it may have been the luck of the draw for your tree in the amount of water that stood around its roots for many weeks. This stressed a lot of plants (it played havoc with my vegetable garden) and for a lot of homeowners, it'll take until next spring for their trees and plants to cycle through a dormant season before the see trees and shrubs come back at regular strength (if we have normal rainfall).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:27 am 

Thanks for the response! I've only used a dry pest control for fleas this season. I had use TruGreen until the end of last year, and then without.

I will get the sick tree treatment done this weekend, and will look into the zeolite.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:41 pm 

TruGreen is probably part of the culprit, their chemicals built up in the soil. Good luck with all of this.