It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dividing soft leaf yucca
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:59 am 

I have a soft leaf yucca that bloomed all the way through December, and has just started putting on new growth in the center of the main stalk. However, it's also put out a "pup" on the side. How do I divide the pup from the parent plant without digging the whole thing up. Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm 

I am guessing this plant is in the ground and not in a pot? Photos would help, if this is in an unusual spot or has a feature that makes it difficult to work with.

I suspect this is very much like dealing with the "pups" I get on my agave plants. No need to dig out the entire plant - I use a shovel to wiggle into the gap between the main plant to separate them some, then thrust the shovel through and cut it off. If you want to transplant this new plant let it grow large enough so it will be able to easily generate a new root system. If you simply want to prune this off to confine the size of the original plant, you don't need to be particularly delicate, it won't harm the larger main plant. (If you Google "propagate soft leaf yucca" you'll find lots of advice and videos).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm 

Thank you. Yes, it is in the ground and the side that the pup is coming out on is next to a brick wall. The pup is already about 15 - 18" tall, so I think it would root fine. I just can't really get in behind the mother plant to dig very well, so using the shovel to cut it off will work. Thank you again for your prompt reply.