It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 8:58 am 

My dog is taking Trifexis chewable tablets. I'm wondering if there is any reason not to use powdered spinodsad to dust my dogs or dissolving it in water as a dip?

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:13 pm 

David, this is a question for your vet. Too much of anything can be toxic, so compounding the amount in the tablets with another source could go from beneficial to hazardous. Are they having problems that you need to treat for? I'm sure you know about all of the other treatments - beneficial nematodes, etc. that won't impact the pets at all.

I wonder if using a different kind of product might be better? My dogs get the UK version of Revolution (Stronghold) that uses abamectin, and that seems to be enough to keep away fleas, ticks, heartworms, etc.

I am looking at this as a rhetorical question, a discussion between moderators. We both know the benefits of these products, and that some things can be delivered in toxic levels, even beneficial products. So let us know what you decide.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:18 pm 

Thanks NW'er. I'm looking at using the external spinosad instead of all other forms of drops and pills. I'm not thrilled about using any kind of medicine that does not treat an immediate disease, but in the case of heart worms, once you have the disease, it's pretty much too late. I'm also not thrilled about using any of the "mectin" products like you use or like Ivermectin used for livestock and pets here in the US. Those products pass through the pet's digestive system and kill the beneficial insects that decompose animal dung. I believe spinodad does the same thing, and that saddens me. But I don't want to watch my dogs suffer fleas and ticks, so by dusting the dogs with spinosad I'm hoping to keep that bacterium out of the digestive system and out of the dung. Of all the poor choices so far I'd much rather use spinosad. Living out here in the country now I see that pet owners self medicate their pets using Ivermec. A 15-ounce bottle costs about $15 and is practically a lifetime supply of the nasty stuff. Spinosad it touted as being safe for mammals, but yet it comes with warnings on the label. I was hoping someone would have tried it, like they tried using Ivermec on pets, and they could report their experience.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:39 am 

The product I use for heartworm has (I think) abemectin. And because I've had dogs with heartworm in the past, I try to use it religiously. It repels fleas and ticks, and so far (knock wood!) seems to work fine just be itself.

I had Rx for years for Revolution, but it is expensive for three dogs, and I found a vet pharmacy in the UK that ships for about 1/3 of the US price. The UK version of Revolution is called Stronghold, and it has the same packaging, the same weight classes, the same colors per weight.