It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:12 am 

On three occasions, I have had bites from an unseen insect during backyard activity. The bite is like a stinging, sharp pin-prick, then intense itching and pain, with red, raised, itching, painful welts lasting a week to 10 days. There will be more than one bite. Eventually there is a tiny whitehead on welts. No insect was seen. Bites were always on upper body: shoulder, chest and armpit. Researching this online may have identified an Oak Leaf Itch Mite, or Pyemotes Itch Mite. This information was found on citybugs.tamu.edu and digitalcommons.uni.edu. We have a mature live oak covering most of our small backyard. I've worn a wide-brimmed hat and a long-sleeved shirt for yard work, as suggested. No control is known. Has anyone else had this problem? I have a photo of the third day of the bite site that is not very pretty.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:51 am 

The only suggestions I can make is to look at the information about other mites on the site and decide if it might be helpful with these that you think you have.

Red Spider Mites

Mite Remedy (after the bite)

They can't hurt.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:11 am 

Thanks for the tips on remedies for stings! I'll try them.

This is NOT red spider mites. Red spider mites do not bite like this if at all. This creature imparts a vicious, lingering sting. It only hurts people who want to enjoy our completely landscaped backyard (no grass, native plants, boulders, slate pathways, perennial/evergreen plantings, landscape lighting) as it is intended. I tend the landscaping daily and now have to cover for protection from stings. No one can enjoy our little Eden in the city!
Does anyone know a treatment for control or elimination of this invisible pest Oak Leaf Itch Mite aka Pyemotes Itch Mite?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 am 

I understood you have a different type of mites, my suggestion was that the treatment for spider mites is a good starting point for trying to treat these other mites. We don't have an entry for your mites in our library of information. While you're waiting for someone other than me to come along and offer a more specific suggestion, you might look into using a soapy spray on the trees. You could use this as a reason to give Howard a call on his Sunday morning program.

Infestations of insects often happen when a plant is unhealthy, so you should also look to the health of the oaks that you say have these insects. Are they buried too deep - is the trunk flare adequately exposed? Is the drainage adequate or are they standing in wet areas? Do they get too little water? Any of these can hamper tree growth and health.

A good general approach to healthy trees is the sick tree treatment.

The final alternative is Mr. Google: Oak leaf itch mite and Pyemotes Itch Mite (probably the same results).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:37 am 

Many thanks for the reply again, Northwesterner. I do appreciate it. There may be some stress involved with alley and driveway nearby.
Our tree is healthy, root flare exposed, and cared for by a certified arborist in Dallas. At least it was healthy in Feb. when they looked at our trees. A call might be due. Soapy spray is a good idea, but beyond my ability due to it's size.
The Oak Tree Itch Mite was the result of extensive Google search and Texas A&M's library for our area (noted in first post). The stings I've received repeatedly also line up with their description. But, I am no expert. I've used no poisons or insecticides since we bought this house 14 yrs. ago and planted this tree. Call-in to Howard good idea.