It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Live Oaks and Herbicides
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:47 pm 

At our new house, we have a fifteen year old live oak with lots of suckers underneath. Before we realized what he was doing, the yard guy sprayed poison on the suckers. He said it was like Roundup. We garden organically and were horrified and I am worried about the tree! Some of the suckers appear blackened, others seem okay. I have been seeking answers for almost a month. Is there anything I can do at this point to gauge or minimize damage? It has rained, we have watered and added activated charcoal to the soil, and no more chemicals!
I would be thankful for any advice,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:51 am 

Fire that yard guy if you can't take him in hand and immediately instill some sound organic principals.

There shouldn't be suckers around a live oak that age. Is the tree too deep in the ground - can you see the root flare?

Last edited by northwesterner on Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 am 

North westerner I noticed in your response that live oaks of a certain age should not have suckers. I have a clump of 13 live oaks and I did notice this spring there were more suckers than usual. Is this indicative of something? Gram

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:31 pm 

Were they planted or are they naturally occurring trees (squirrel planted)? It's like the same answer - if they're too deep the trees might be struggling, and the suckers could be a symptom.

I just looked through the library of organic information and don't find any subjects that touch on this. It would be a good topic to call into the program next time you get a chance.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:35 pm 

AAbboud wrote:
At our new house, we have a fifteen year old live oak with lots of suckers underneath. Before we realized what he was doing, the yard guy sprayed poison on the suckers. He said it was like Roundup. We garden organically and were horrified and I am worried about the tree! Some of the suckers appear blackened, others seem okay. I have been seeking answers for almost a month. Is there anything I can do at this point to gauge or minimize damage? It has rained, we have watered and added activated charcoal to the soil, and no more chemicals!
I would be thankful for any advice,

The only other thing I know to do would be to add zeolite to the area. I believe adding microbes and compost and other organic amendments would be wise. Anything you can do to try and negate the effects of glysophate.

https://www.organicconsumers.org/sites/default/files/artman2/uploads/1/May2011_Huber.pdf