It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Dynatraps
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:09 pm 

Do Dynatraps kill any beneficial insects? I'm seeing them in a lot of local nurseries and hearing from neighbors who swear by them. But no one can tell me if they kill any beneficials. Help! I'm dying outside.

Post subject: Re: Dynatraps
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:06 am 

The testimonials on the product site describe it as for killing "flying insects." That doesn't discriminate between beneficial or not. I tried a sticky trap one time to get the flies that were bothering my dogs on the back porch but mostly ended up with beneficial larger insects on it, the flies seemed to have a sixth-sense for their preservation. I took it down before I killed too many of the good bugs. If you can get your money back after testing it for a bit, I'd suggest looking to see what gets into it and decide if it works for you.

I work to repel the insects - sprinkle granulated garlic around the area, make sure there is no standing water, use mosquito dunks in any standing water (fountains, bird baths, etc.). The dunks target mosquitoes while leaving all others alone. One interesting old fellow who used to call into the program described his plan - set up water, lure the mosquitoes there, then dump or treat every three days. There were flaws to that plan, but you might want to try having a container some distance from the house with mosquito dunks in it - the water intentionally to attract them away, and the dunks there to prevent the wigglers from developing into flying insects.

Last edited by northwesterner on Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:11 am 

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of and why I haven't bought a trap. I also heard about using the dunks to purposely lure mosquitos away as you described. (Probably heard from the same source.) I do use dunks but fail to understand how this would keep the adults away from me for more than a nanosecond. It's nice to be loved, but not by skeeters. I do use garlic and cedar but would love to add something else to my repertoire.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:18 pm 

The dunks would eliminate some future generations, but do nothing about the mosquitoes around now. That's where garlic, bug repellent, citronella, etc. come into play. Having a ceiling fan above the patio so there isn't still air probably also helps.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:26 pm 

How long can adult mosquitos live (assuming no sprays, no swatting, etc.)? Cedar and garlic repel them but don't kill them, right? So stopping future generations with dunks is good. But it sounds like the adults can keep on buzzing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:29 pm 

There are lots of types - Wikipedia has a mosquito entry that should answer your question. You need to consider how often to treat any wet spots to keep viable Bti active to kill larvae, and how to repel the adults that manage to survive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:05 pm 

Thank you.