It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ArmyWorm resurgence
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:39 am 

We need help.... Army worms have invaded our Bermuda Grass again this year....they eat each blade down until the lawn looks brown... it happens in a matter of days and it is always in late August or Sept. Therefore I am assuming it is the Fall Armyworm.... we have released wasps, nemitodes, ladybugs, in years before and still they come back.... it's not every year, so it is hard to catch.... we use corn gluten, & dry molasses to fertilize our yard... I spray garrett juice on the flowerbeds and pour it on tree root areas... any ideas what else we can do? I know it is too late for this year, but what can we do to have them stop eating our grass? So far I have not resorted to chemical pesticides, and I do have a lot of birds around but it is my guess that they can't keep up with the amount of caterpillers.... HELP needed in Lake Kiowa!

Update, we just moved a sprinkler and there are tons or millions of babies in the lawn..... I saw an oil on a website.... will that kill them in the soil or will I need granules....Heading to D&L now to see what they have....

Post subject: Re: ArmyWorm resurgence
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:01 pm 

Bt is the answer. In a watering can, hose end sprayer, or sprinkle granules in the area.

https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Armyworm_vq437.htm

What is Bt? Bacillus thuringiensis is a biological treatment that stops the worms from digesting what they eat and they die. https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Bacillus-thuringiensis-Bt-Update_vq3307.htm Research shows that it must be used carefully, if you broadcast, for example, you'll kill butterflies. For your lawn, contact with the worms, and getting it onto the blades they are eating, is going to be your most effective treatment.

Post subject: Re: ArmyWorm resurgence
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:16 pm 

Look for BT Worm Killer. BT stands for bacillius thurengensis, a deadly bacterium if you are a caterpillar and a harmless one if you are not an insect. A little goes a long way so you can get a lifetime supply for about $10.

Paper wasps are your friends for caterpillars. Nurture them and leave them alone...unless you are allergic to wasp stings. If you leave them alone they should leave you alone.