It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 6:45 pm 

I am not much of a gardener so I purchased some grow pots that you water from the bottom. It included organic fertilizer. I have harvested a few peas but the bottom of the plants are quickly yellowing. Do they need additional fertilizer or a spraying with Garrett Juice or ???

The grow pots are about 12" x 24" and I planted about 12 pea plants in it.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:21 pm 

Photos really help with this kind of question. Can you post something close enough to the plants so we can see the soil and the condition of the plants?

How often are you watering? Does the planter stay wet all of the time, or are you letting it dry out between waterings?

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:34 pm 

This is in a grow box (don't remember the brand but there are a number of them available) that came with organic fertilizer that you add before planting. Most of the fertilizer is mixed into the top couple of inches of potting mix and the rest is put in a line down the middle. The seedlings are planted along the sides away from the fertilizer. It is supposed to be self regulating with the water and you put water in the bottom as needed - usually every few days here in that location. There are 2 "wells" of planting mix that go down into the water to draw up what is needed. I have added mosquito dunks to the reservoir.

I have 2 more of these planting boxes and the tomatoes, cukes and peppers are doing very well, just having probs with the sno peas.

Photos I took with my phone are "too large" so ???? Can we email - I can attach photos that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 am 

If you load your photos into an account at someplace like Flickr or Photobucket you can share a link from there in varying sizes. The size of photos this system allows is tiny, relatively speaking.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:24 pm 

see attached picture.

The plants started out a beautiful sno pea green but are quickly turning yellow from the bottom up. Even the tops are fading.

No idea what was in the supplied "organic fertilizer." I did not save the packaging but here is the website: www.agardenpatch.com

Attachments:
Yellowed sno peas.JPG
Yellowed sno peas.JPG [ 19.38 KiB | Viewed 12364 times ]
yellowed sno peas 2.JPG
yellowed sno peas 2.JPG [ 20.13 KiB | Viewed 12364 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 am 

I can only see thumbnail sized images, but get enough information from the color that I'd guess that despite the "self-regulating" aspect of the box, it looks like it's getting too much water. "Wet feet" make a lot of plants unhappy. There's something to be said for the old-fashioned plain planter with a drain hole in the bottom in a saucer, or planting them in the ground in a raised bed. The convenience of not having to water regularly is hard on the plants.

It's kind of late for trying to plant peas or beans now, so unless you want to try transplanting these into larger containers with better drainage, I don't know what to tell you. These might put out new growth and some peas faster than a new set of seeds going in the ground or a pot.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am 

Hmmmm..... I usually under water. That is why I wanted the "self regulating" boxes. The other boxes are doing very well.

Do not have any other large pots. Guess I will chalk this up to a learning experience.

Thanks for the assistance.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:57 pm 

I'd think under-watering would give you the tell-tale wilting but over watering means the roots aren't able to work properly or are rotting. Why don't you push a pencil or some other prod into the soil and see if it is dry or wet? Or trowel out a couple of the plants and take a look.