It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agralawn Crabgrass Killer is an all-natural organic weed control used to kill crabgrass, basket grass, chickweed, clover and other similar weeds. It is fast-acting, but will not harm common lawns like St. Augustine and Bermuda. Cinnamon bark is the active ingredient. If your weed problem consists of the aforementioned plants, there's really no need to spray your lawn with unsafe chemicals.

http://agralawn.com/index.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm 

Years ago they used to list the ingredients on the label. The active ingredient is baking soda. Cinnamon is a red herring. That might be used to cause the yellowing when you dust the Agralawn stuff on. I'm not sure how they get away with their labeling. I believe it was the University of Florida had the baking soda crabgrass killer formula posted and demonstrated it.

If you don't want to pay $17 for $2 worth of baking soda, all you have to do is moisten the weed and dust it with baking soda. The hard part is moistening the weed. Many of the tenacious weeds are hydrophobic and repel water, so you have to use a sticker in the water. Shampoo makes a good sticker, but you'll have to experiment to see how much to use in a spray bottle to get the water to stick without forming droplets.

Baking soda will kill other grasses other than St Augustine and bahia.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:51 pm 

So I'm wondering if common bermuda can take repeated baking soda treatments better than crabgrass. We've been getting lots of rain in southeast Tarrant county and the crabgrass has exploded to the point where I'm looking for treatments. I've laid down a good base of CGM twice since my initial treatment in late February, the last being two days previous, but it appears the crabgrass already had a good head start, even at that time, since we had a warmer February here. I started the organic program when I moved here two years ago and things are looking better with this being the exception. The bermuda is thick and gets 6+ hours of full sun. Soil is in good shape and the tilth (?) layer is at about 1/2" - 3/4". I have the yard mowed at the highest setting (about 3 1/2") to try to keep the crabgrass from spreading.

I did experiment with Agralawn but only had limited success. Only the heaviest applications were effective, though most everything I treated was well coated. I have wondered if mixing it with some shampoo and water and spraying it on might actually work better and make it go farther. Careful as I was, I only got half the suggested coverage area on the bottle.

By the way, I have posted several times before, but I am now considered a new user because I had to request a new password. The handle is "greenjack"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:36 pm 

I know several people trying to get back to their old user names. Sorry about that, I don't know if there is an answer.

I think I've heard Howard talk about the Potassium Bicarbonate or Baking Soda working on crabgrass. If you can search the forum as well as the library of organic information, I think you'll find discussions. Keep the keywords as few as possible to get results.

Personally, I don't do much about the weed grasses in the turf - in the summer I don't water much and it dies back.

This time of year corn gluten meal acts like a fertilizer. If you put it on bare soil to keep weeds from sprouting, perhaps it will continue to work as a pre-emergent.

Last edited by northwesterner on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:37 am 

Thanks for the reply. I've read almost everything I can find on the forums and dirtdoctor about crabgrass; some have good success with the soda, others not so much. I know it also causes the bermuda to die back; I just haven't read anything about how quickly it regrows. At this point, however, the crabgrass is crowding it out and overtaking it, so I'm inclined to at least knock it down with something.