It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Starting compost
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 10:33 am 

I am starting a compost barrel. Should I put in some Black Kow maure to start it or just begin adding my yard waste and kitchen scraps?

Post subject: Re: Starting compost
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:43 pm 

Add yard waste, leaves, weeds, etc, and be sure you get some of that garden soil in there (not so much extra soil as simply using the soil that ends up with the weeds that you transport to your compost barrel). Soil will offer up the biological activity that helps to start it all cooking. Turn it, water it occasionally if needed.

I have a barrel that is not behaving well because I put in too much kitchen waste (very wet) and it's an anaerobic soup right now. It needs more dry stuff and to be turned (in other words, do as I say, not as I do!) The barrel for kitchen waste is to keep my dogs out of the main compost pile that is doing just fine, sans food the dogs would go in and eat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:10 pm 

Location: California, San Joaquin Valley - home of 105* summers, foggy winters.
It depends on how you want to do this. Generally, there are two ways to compost. You can compost with earthworms (vermicompost), or you can compost by mixing a high nitrogen ingredient (manure) with a carbon ingredient (sawdust, leaves, dead grass) and letting it heat up and process itself, over the course of a few weeks. Both ways produce a good end result.

Personally, I'm a vermicomposter, and add red worms to my compost piles and let hem do the work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:24 pm 

He's talking about composting in a barrel.

You're posting a lot about your worms. You might contact Doug about advertising on the site.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:57 pm 

I am not advertising. I never mentioned selling at all, and I'm not sure where you got that idea. I'm a long time vermicomposter and give away information freely. He mentioned barrels and asked about composting. You can compost in barrels with worms. I have more experience composting with worms than hot composting, so I spoke from my experience.

No one else has said much, and I made a contribution. Unless only special, specific people can contribute here. I apologize for interrupting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am 

No harm done - but if you were doing this as a business, this is a good place to promote it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:38 pm 

I understand that most people here are from the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I do sell on occasion, but in tiny amounts - a pound at a time, rarely more than ~5 pounds a year, and only local to my area, never by mail, so you guys are FAR outside my orbit, even if I had a few handsful to sell. Mostly, when I do sell, it's to keep my bins from being overpopulated. My worms are mostly to handle my own outgoing organic material.

I've been a member of this forum for years, and through at least 3 rebuilds, and whatever of my posts have survived, you will see I've never offered to sell.

That is not my purpose here, has never been. I have been vermicomposting for almost 30 years, and wish to contribute. I can, and do contribute elsewhere on occasion (do as search for Priswell on gardenweb, reddit), but for some reason I come back here to check on how things are going.

I know this forum has struggled with spam, and understand the need to keep things under control, but I'm pretty harmless.