It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 9:50 am 

Our green bean plants look health in color, but the leaves are beginning to curl. What do I do?

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:46 pm 

Photos always help, and knowing where you are in the country.

In North Texas there is a fairly short growing season for tender greens like lettuce and many of the beans. Is this one of those that will be done soon, or is it a hardy bush bean? How large are they and are they producing flowers or beans yet?

Please describe how you planted, are they mulched, do you fertilize, are you organic? How much do you water?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:10 pm 

My husband put in corn gluten meal, compost and cow manure. Everything he uses is organic. The leaves are not curling now, but don't know why they were. The beans were planted 3 or 4 to a hill -- looks like only one plant came up on each hill. He waters every morning. They are looking more healthy now, but they seem to be smaller plants -- looks like only one plant came up per hill. We do not have mulch on top -- maybe we should do that. One very small plant is just breaking above ground, but it seems to be the bean seed with a bean coming out of it. We have planted both bush beans and pole beans. Have never had luck with beans.

What should we fertilize with? We only use the cow manure.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm 

Don't use corn gluten meal in the garden when you're planting seeds - it prevents seeds from sprouting! Sprinkle around and away to reduce weeds, yes, but not on the mounds where crops are planted. Once plants are up it works as a fertilizer, but it suppresses germination.

I noticed after heavy rains last week that seeds I'd been waiting on finally started sprouting. It takes time and patience; if not too much corn gluten got on them then the others may soon follow.

The curling leaves you saw - the first two, aren't really leaves, they are the cotyledons that sprout first. After they open up and the plant gets a few roots going then true leaves start appearing and they soon drop off.

Since you have the seeds in the ground I'd suggest don't water every day, they may rot instead of root. Water substantially (an inch over the area) every three or four days. Take your clue from how they respond to rain.

Good luck!