It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Crooked nellie
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm 

I have a nellie stevens holly that just seems bound and determined to grow at an angle, looking for suggestions as to how to get this wayward tree to straighten its ways!

The ground around it is basically flat ... it is in a flower bed around 8-10' from the house ... flat bed, flat yard. Obviously we planted it as straight as we could, I do not remember the exact details but it was about 4' tall when we planted it and is roughly 6' - 8' tall now. I tried to follow Dirt doctor recommendations ... we did not stake the tree to begin with.

Once I noticed it leaning, I tried "pulling" it back to straight by applying tension and then loosening the dirt above the roots on the other side ... did not help. Then I tried the same thing but 'staked' the tree for a few months ... obviously it was straight while staked but as soon as I loosened it, back to crooked in a few months.

The tree is so lopsided that if I cannot figure out how to get it right, we are just going to yank it out. Any help anybody can provide would be sincerely appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Crooked nellie
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 10:21 am 

Is the tree leaning away from the house?

It's still a very small tree. You could dig it up and move it, try re-planting it at a 90 degree angle. Don't plant it too deep.