It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:00 pm 

Hello,

I have a peach tree that sprouted from discarded pit 25 yrs ago. ten years later it out performed two trees that I purchased and planted. For the final 5 years of it's life I had to prop up fruit loaded branches. During a winter with heavy snow and wind the main branches broke leaving just the trunk. Parts of the branches showed signs of decay perhaps from water entry from pruning sites. I used to cover these with pruning paint but stopped using it when when practice at time got away from it. I am returning to painting the pruning cuts over 1/2" to prevent water from entering the heart wood.

In the Spring several sprouts began growing from the base of the trunk. I cut the trunk off 3' from the ground and trimmed the sprouts to one at end of the summer. Today that sport has grown to 15' and 4" in diameter, has begun to produce a few peaches. I have yet to cut off the trunk at ground level as I am concerned that I may injure the tree. The stump is rotting, woodpeckers and other critters are helping it fall apart..

When can I safely cut it close to the ground without hurting the new tree. I have given up care of the purchased trees as this tree is very hardy, produced, large, sweet peaches with minimal care. I have not sprayed this tree for 20 years, yes a few of the peaches may be miss formed or had a few marks or blemished skins, however most were very tasty, better that anything we could purchase at market or farmers markets.

Any comments or suggestions regarding cutting off the stump or letting it continue to rot to the ground would be helpful.

I am located on the southern coast of Massachusetts with usually mild winters.

Best wishes for a good 2020 Thanksgiving and a better year in 2021.