It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fall Tomatoes?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:25 pm 

This season was my first attempt at a raised bed for my tomatoes - and they grew spectacularly - but I did have to race the squirrels for the fruit..and now, with the heat and August and Dallas summers, the plants are getting sorta sickly - although they are trying valiantly to put out nes blossoms and even fruit..
Can someone tell me about putting out tomatoes now for a fall crop? What varieties are best for my part of the world? I can put just about any kind of dirt I want to in my wonderful raised bed..but what is the best kind of soil preparation that is different for a fall crop? I put in a drip irrigation system, so watering is not a problem...but I would like to know your experiences and suggestions...and i would be happy to share the salsa with you come October!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:44 pm 

The biggest problem with choosing varieties is finding plants this time of year. There is a feed and seed store here in Weatherford that had some, at least they did a couple of weeks ago. The best general varieties are the heat tolerant ones (heat wave, super fantastic, homestead, sweet 100's). I started mine from seed this year and am planting a couple of the heirloom varieties that are supposed to be heat tolerant (Cherokee Purple and Black Krim). Any variety will do when home grown,as compared to those in the grocery store, lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:46 pm 

I have planted heirloom seedlings this year for fall that I bought from seedsavers.org, and they are about an inch tall in pots (Cherokee Purple, Italian Heirloom, and Silvery Fir Tree). I may have waited too late to start them, but I am going to try it and see what happens. Live and learn. If this year does not work out, I will start them earlier next year!
That is the fun of gardening, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 1:10 pm 

I'm starting a new fall crop of tomatoes, just by breaking off some of my best vines from my summer's tomato vines.

I start new roots for these future tomato transplants by just soaking them in a diluted compost for a few days.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:34 am 

Do you take off a limb of one of your plants to root for fall or do you snip off the top "crown"? I'm very curious about this because even though we had a record crop this year, the heat is really taking its toll on my plants and we'd like to start over.

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:56 am 

I usually cut off a limb for new transplants.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton