It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: WHAT TO USE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:31 pm 

Since pressure treated boardes have arsnic in them what is a good inexpensive material to use for a raised bed that will have vegitables? I just moved to an area that is rock so I have no choice but to go up with my garden but have no idea as to the best and cheapest way to go. HELP! :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 4:38 pm 

Ray - a company called "Gardener's Supply" sells boards that fit together to make raised beds that are made from recycled tire rubber. They are strong, they don't degrade with sunlight or water, and the 3 X 3 size is easy to put together, and you can use as many 3 X 3 units as you like. They also sell a drip irrigation system to go with these - but i found that my soaker hose is as good as the one I bought - and I did not have to figure out how to put it together.
I used these for my tomatoes this year, and I really like them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:34 pm 

I would love to use natural stone, but living in the houston area I can't afford it. I'm using some masonry blocks to replace my untreated lumber that's breaking down. The blocks are 4x8x16 and cost about $1/each. So for a 4x8 bed the cost woud be approx. $18, that's cheaper than the lumber. If they won't stay put by burying them a few inches into the soil, I'll use a small amount of mortar on the bottom to keep them in place.

If there are other inexpensive options out there I would love to hear them. I need something to hold the dirt as my garden is on a slight slope and the rain would wash the dirt away.