It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 10:28 am 

I'm a "newbie" to the forum. Need to seed my lawn with annual ryegrass. Have a one acre lot. How many pounds of seed do I need, and what fertilize do I use? Also, do I fertilize when I seed it, or wait until the seeds germinate? Lawn has not been fertilized in at least a year, used the organic fertilize from Calloway's Nursery in Plano, TX. I live near Princeton in Collin County, northeast of Dallas. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 12:35 pm 

You can fertilize now and seed tomorrow or vice versa. Or you could put them both down at the same time. But I'm sorry I can't help with how many pounds of seed. The bag should tell you that.

I would suggest using alfalfa pellets to save you a few bucks. Many of the commercial organic fertilizers contain alfalfa meal as an ingredient. Those usually cost about $1.00 per pound. If you go to the feed store and get a bag of generic bagged alfalfa pellets, it will cost you about $0.10 per pound. Get the smallest pellets they have to make it easier to judge how much you're using. The application rate is 10-20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. For an acre you will need 450 to 900 pounds. Ask for a discount. You might get it for $0.08/pound.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the update. I've been told 50 pounds/acre and 100 pounds/acre. As far as fertilizing, I felt like I could put it out with the seed, but not sure. I'm going to mow the lawn this weekend, probably drop the blade one notch and mow before planting the new seeds.

Post subject: Annual Ryegrass
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 12:01 pm 

I had posted a question about a month ago regarding annual ryegrass and was planning to plant it at that time. However, this did not happen. Just wondering if it's too late to plant winter ryegrass for this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:06 pm 

Call you local seed company...they are a great source of information.

We have approx. 5 acres to seed (annual rye for forage), we were told about 2 weeks ago because of the unusually warm weather we can still seed...our only problem is the lack of rain...

50-100lbs per acre is kinda high, there are many different types of annual rye. If you only want to use it as a ground cover you might be able to find a different type with fewer lbs per acre and save some money.

Judy