It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:35 pm 

We are building a new home on land that was recently cleared of thick Mesquite Trees. Small mesquites are beginning to grow again. We have been told to use a herbicide called Remedy to kill them. Can you tell me anything about this herbicide and if there is a better way to kill these mesquites.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 11:22 am 

There are two products on the market that go by that name. One is an organic product for fighting certain plant diseases. The other, I am presuming this is the one they wanted you to use, is a toxic chemical herbicide.

That product would liekly kill off those unwanted mesquite trees, as would a modest application of napalm, or perhaps weapons-grade plutonium. None of those three options is particualrly desirable, as far as the side-effects to killing the unwanted trees.

So, no, I'd not use Remedy to kill off those trees unless you want everything else in the yard to die.

The thing likeliest to work without killing everythign else would be to bring in an arborist that can air-spade out the roots and grind the stumps.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:53 pm 

Can you mow them to death before they get more than 4 inches high?

Folks in the hill country used to be covered with mesquite. They got them all pulled out and in came the cedar (juniper). They traded one relatively okay problem for a really bad one. Juniper sucks up all the water and won't let anything else grow. So you might not end up with what you want anyway.

How about sheep?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:23 pm 

Mowing them will not work. The only way I know of getting rid of Mesquite is to root plow it. Dig up the roots. If you cut them they will sprout from the root. I have been battling them for several years. Mesquite is an extremely hardy tree. I would prefer to deal with the "Cedar" as they do not grow from the roots when cut. Mesquite is good only good in the BBQ fire and Cedar for Posts. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:56 pm 

If you have the patients you can "healthy soil" them to death. Mesquite are notorious for growing in poor soil areas and areas that have been treated with too many chemicals. We found that if you physically remove the larger trees (we actually left some of ours to die naturally so we could have the smoker wood) and then mow the shoots as you mow the lawn that in time (it took almost 3 years for us) the roots of the tree die out as the soil health improves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:04 pm 

dustoff79 wrote:
Mesquite is good only good in the BBQ fire and Cedar for Posts.

I TOTALLY disagree with that ..
But I am also an avid water-wise gardener.
natives ALL have a place. It just may not be in your landscape

-Margaret Mead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:32 am 

I know it's too late for this case where the main trunks have been disposed of, but...

I hate to see volunteer trees cut down just for the sake of forcing a less-adapted tree to grow where it didn't want to be.

I know a lot of woodturners who love getting hold of mesquite for making all maner of turned art objects. Other woodworkers like to get it as well. Over at the botique lumberyard in west Ft. Worth, they occasionally have some pretty bad looking curvy warped rough-cut inch-thick mesquite lumber "on sale" for about $6.50 a board foot.

Health Science Center at Ft. Worth
jclark@hsc.unt.edu
jim.fwculture.info