It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Spiders in Post Oaks
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:56 pm 

We recently bought land in SW Wise county with lots of Post Oak trees with tons of spiders. Any suggestions? Also, we have scorpions and copperhead snakes. Any suggestions for that too are welcome. thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:48 pm 

OrganicNewby-
This is going to sound rough but why would you buy land in the country if you were going to try and turn it into a city lot by repelling or killing everything. I know snakes and scorpions are not cute and cuddly like baby rabbits but they are part of the ecosystem nature has set up. Texas is full of snakes and scorpions and you can't rid your place of them all. Your chances of falling off an ATV are greater than being bitten by a snake.
If you have a house on the property you can seal up all the outside openings to keep the varmints out. People have had good luck throwing horse apples from a Bois D Arc tree under and around the foundation to repel scorpions. Snakes don't like short grass so keep it cut where you are most of the time.
Please learn to enjoy nature and teach your kids how to be safe. If you don't know how, go to the Ft. Worth Nature Center or the Heard Museum in McKinney and take some classes.
Tony M

Last edited by Tony M* on Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:27 pm 

I think the best way to keep scorpions and snakes away is to take away their food sources.

Scorpions eat other insects. Keep or attract animals that eat lots of insects. I have chickens and ducks. We also feed wild birds so they will hang out in the area. Pesticides will only eventually make things worse by providing the perfect environment for spikes in certain insects. Ask ranchers about grass hoppers. There is a reason grass hoppers are rare in city neighborhoods.

Snakes mostly eat rodents. Cats are good for keeping those populations down. Mice are not fond of short grass either so I think keeping grass short was a great suggestion.

This should at least keep you from having so many of these creatures around that you are scared.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:36 pm 

Ooops I forgot to answer the spider question!

I believe many of the wasp/hornet species eat spiders. All spiders are beneficial and basically harmless. I have even heard black widows and brown recluse aren't as dangerous as we think unless you happen to have an allergic reaction.

I don't worry about spiders. I even let daddy longlegs live under my cabinets. They don't hurt us, guests can't see them and they probably do something usefull under there. The only time they come out is when I spray a cleaner near them. Boy they ruuuun. :lol:

Spiders also eat insects so once again birds, birds, birds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:23 pm 

[quote="Pamzilla"]...All spiders are beneficial and basically harmless. I have even heard black widows and brown recluse aren't as dangerous as we think unless you happen to have an allergic reaction...
quote]
I disagree. The Brown Recluse: Most frequently associated with bites of medical significance; venom is potentially harmful to humans. Recluse bites usually form a red circular area on the skin which sloughs off the skin leaving an open wound which is difficult to heal and may require several months before it is completely healed. Reactions vary in severity, depending on the sensitivity of the individual. Seek medical attention if such a bite occurs. This spider is quite non-aggressive and bites occur most frequently when it is injured or killed. This may happen when trapped in clothing or bedding. Bites often occur on the buttocks or legs. They typically produce local pain and itching which may take days or over a week to occur. Systemic (generalized internal) reactions usually are evident within 72 hours. The bite site may develop a discolored pustulate area that progresses to a necrotic area with an open wound the size of a quarter or larger. Systemic reactions may include rashes, fever, generalized itching, vomiting, diarrhea, shock or death.

The Black Widow bite symptoms:
If noticed at all, a widow spider bite may feel like a pin prick. Usually the bite location is indicated by a slight local swelling and two red spots surrounded by redness. The reaction is systemic and pain becomes intense in one to three hours, continuing for up to 48 hours. Symptoms include tremors, nausea, vomiting, leg cramps, abdominal pain, profuse perspiration, loss of muscle tone and rise in blood pressure. The toxin can also cause breathing difficulties and sometimes unconsciousness. However, less than 5% of people bitten by widow spiders die. Widow spiders are found in protected cavities outdoors. Around houses, they may live in privies, garages, cellars, furniture, shrubbery, ventilators, rain spouts, gas and electric meters and other undisturbed places. Widow spiders also may be seen in cotton fields and occasionally vegetable gardens.

Like most spiders, widow spiders are shy and retiring. People are bitten occasionally when they accidentally disturb a hidden spider or its web. To avoid hidden spiders, take care when putting on seldom-worn shoes or clothing.

About the snakes (and spiders for that matter): If you fear being bitten, I would highly suggest you contact Clifford Mackey at 918-341-6715. In the back of the Texas Bug Book, Howard and Malcolm have referenced this information which is backed by scientific research. It involves the use of a mini stun gun, half the power of ones used for self defense. It seems to neutralize the poisons from bites. The bite and resulting damage is far worse that the discomfort of this device. I should know. I accidentally stunned myself with a regular stun gun (twice as strong as the mini). While sitting in the front seat of a truck, I reached around in back of me (in the dark) to gather the contents of a spilled purse and ZAP! :shock: It did not take long for me to release from it and I did have to sit there for a minute or two to recuperate. Shoot, even the effects of a full strength stun gun is better than vomiting, loss of muscle tone, tremors, and all that goings on as long as you are sitting down so you do not fall and hit your head.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 10:50 am 

Yes I agree that these spiders are potentially dangerous. I also agree that all the medical information given is true and accurate. As noted in the medical information the "venom is potentially harmfull to humans". Webster defines potential as possible not probable. This would lead me to believe that a huge percentage of bite victims won't have "harmful" reactions.

Of course I don't know of any studies showing what percentage of people have significant reactions or allergies to these spider bites. Unlike bees for instance, many people who are biten by spiders don't know they were until a welt on the skin developes. I don't think people will line up to get biten by spiders so we may never know the probability.

In any case, I am not trying to mislead anyone about the seriousness of a severe reaction to spider bites. I am just tired of people being freaked out by the accounts of Recluse and Black Widow horrors. This leads people who don't understand them to "bomb" or "spray" anything with eight legs.

Post subject: spider bites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:11 pm 

Pamzilla, I agree with your post. The only times I got bit, I wasn't paying attention to the area I was in. I have never felt a spider bite but it is sore for days afterward. Organic1, do you have a link to the "stun gun" ?

Post subject: Re: spider bites
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:10 pm 

KHWOZ wrote:
... Organic1, do you have a link to the "stun gun" ?

No, just the name of the guy and his phone number. I have an address, too. Calling is quicker and easier. He can not really have a website for it because of legality/FDA/government/red tape regulations, despite all the medical research having been done proving its effectiveness. Mr. Mackey will tell you what you need to say it is that you are ordering. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach