It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 10:47 am 

I am having a hard time trying to decide what type of tree to plant in my front yard in Plano. Currently I am considering the Shumard Oak and the Chinese Pistache. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would need two of the oak or three of the pistache. I think three would look better -- I would plant in a triange. Would need to get rid on one of the hybrid poplars right away if I got the pistache -- otherwise I will wait a year or two before removing the awful poplars.

Suggestions? Typical Plano house with about 70 foot wide front yard and slightly off center walk to the front door.

Post subject: Planting Trees
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:12 am 

Just a thought...planting 3 of either type of these trees would cause a crowding of the canopy after a few years and probably lead to problems. With a yard your size, you're going to creat a completely shaded yard and if that's what you want, fine but just think ahead so you don't cause yourself a problem in the future. Shumards will grow to an average of 60 fee tall by 40 feet wide on the canopy and pistache will grow 40-50 feet tall with a canopy of 30 feet. That's 70 feet of canopy right there!

Lots of trees is great but I've seen far too many people who plant too many too closely together and end up having to pay big bucks after a few years to take one or more out! Either would be a good choice, or maybe one of each, but 3 trees of this size would crowd each other both above ground and below. Less is more, in this case. :D Hope this helps!