It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Chicken feed
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:21 pm 

Does anyone know of a source for organic, non-genetically engineered, high protein chicken feed in Texas or that ships to anywhere in Texas? Right now we have to feed our chickens oats and pinto beans (for a high protein source), and I'm afraid they might not be getting all that they need.

banot[url][/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:01 pm 

The short answer is no. There are no certified organic feed mills in Texas as of about 3 months ago. I have a lot to say about this but don't want to take up the time or space if you are not needing further information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:31 am 

TRY GROWING YELLOW DENT CORN , MAISE ,AND WHEAT OR HAVE SOMEBODY GROW IT FOR YOU. USE WOOD ASHES AND CORN GLUTEN MEAL AS FERTILIZER. ALSO SET UP SHEET COMPOSTING AREAS TO GROW BUGS AND WORMS FOR THE CHICKENS. ROTATIONAL GRAZE THIS AREA BY COVERING WITH PIECES OF CARPET - UPSIDE DOWN- ALLOW THEM TO DIG ONLY A SMALL AREA AT ONE TIME. ALSO SET UP WORM BEDS AND ALLOW THEM ACCESS ON A ROTATIONAL BASIS. I USE OLD NURSURY CONTAINERS AND COVER WITH CARPET. ALTHOUGH YOUR CHICKENS WILL STILL NEED GRAIN AND YOUNG GRASS PLANTS THE NEED WILL BE FAR LESS AND YOUR CHICKENS NUTRITION WILL BE BETTER.