It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fall colour
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:50 am 

Anyone seeing early signs yet?

What tree types?

If we keep gettign sunny days and cold nights we could see some good colour, especially if we get some rain here and there or your property is decently watered.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:58 pm 

I saw a spectatular sweet gum today in McKinney.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:32 am 

Shumac-cottonwood and elms are about it around Central Texas. Waiting for the oaks and maples. Planning a trip to the hill country shortly. Lost Maples State Park will be one stop. :D

Gary

Post subject: Fall Coloring
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:39 am 

Not much fall color yet in the west part of Ft. Worth yet. Some crepe myrtles are starting to turn but the elms and the redbuds that were so great last year are still holding back. My Shantung maple is only thinking about it and an Eve's necklace is still very green. Unfortunately, a few of the trees have begun pushing off a number of leaves, I guess because it has been so dry (red oaks, pecan...). I have only had 3 noteworthy rain "events" at my home since the middle of July. I suspect Texas ash and Chinese pistache are ready to roll, but I have not had a chance to go look at some of those yet. Here's hoping...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:58 am 

I'm still watering once a week for 30-40 minutes and foliar feeding every 10 days or so, with Garlic Pepper tea to ward off and nasties and with an extra dash of molasses to make sure the leave have plenty of sugar to turn if they need it.

My Red Oak is green and kicking, my Birch and Lacebark Elm are starting to think about turning and there's a touch of gold in my Green Ash. The Willow out back is definitely starting to go yellow.

Hoping we get a show like we did last year. That was gorgeous.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 12:04 pm 

My lone sweet gum is just starting to turn and my 3 red oaks are mostly green still. Last year my red oaks didn't do much more than yellow quickly and shed.

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:57 am 

Red oaks tend to be the last ones to turn, mine always goes well after my ash and birch have finihsed their show and all or most of the leaves have fallen off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:32 am 

Okay, tops of my Ash tree are starting to go gold, yellow, and orange.

You know- I bought this and it was marked 'Green Ash' from Lowes, but I begin to think this is not a Green Ash but perhaps a White Ash. I say that because talking to Howard about it before, I've mentioned that he rates Green Ash as a medium-rate tree. Not a bad one, but not brilliant either. Also, Green Ash trees are supposed to turn yellow only. This is this tree's third fall in the ground and the third time it's given me golden orange and yellow fall foliage. Plus, it's a really helthy tree.

My Improved Heritage Birch is staring to go yellow, and so is my Lacebark Elm. Getting some red in the purple and pink Crepe Myrtles too. It'll be a while before the red oak changes. Always the last one to go.

How's about everyone else?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:47 am 

Hrmm.. I've got a few of the same trees but their progress is different. My two red oaks have been turning yellow then brown for the past 10 days or so. They've also dropped about 20% of their leaves. My sweet gum is really starting to turn in full force now. It's showing shades of yellow and burgandy. I've also got what has been preliminarily identified as an "ash" (no idea if it's Arizona, Texas, or other..) that isn't turning at all yet.

Since I'm more or less in the same area as you are, what sorts of things besides weather/temperature determine when a given species of tree decides to turn? Overall health? Available nutrients?

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:42 am 

You answered your own question there.

Howard and many other experts point to the combination of cold nights and clear bright days being the best for colour in the trees. But the tree's health also plays in there. If those are Red Oaks and they're turning yellow and dropping already, they might be stressed. Shumard and Texas Reds tend to be hte last to fall and always get at least somewhat red if health is okay. Of course health depends on good available nutrients.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:53 pm 

The Ent wrote:
If those are Red Oaks and they're turning yellow and dropping already, they might be stressed. Shumard and Texas Reds tend to be hte last to fall and always get at least somewhat red if health is okay.

:(

Both red oaks were very much the same last year in terms of when and how they turned and shed. They looked healthy all year, but I'm not sure I'd recognize anything until it was totally obvious. I'll try taking some leaf samples and photos up to the nursery to see if they think something's amiss. These two trees are my favorites..

~Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 9:19 pm 

One of my pears is going maroon today and losing a few leaves...purty.

Did I read once that fall color is actually a loss of color? As the green dies out the reds and yellows that were always there show?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:11 am 

Partially, yes-

The Chlorophyll goes away and makes room for other parts to show, but also the sugars in the leaves activate and make more of some of those substances just as the green is leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:29 pm 

The Ent...

You must be from Canada, or another real English speaking country... as your topic post shows you know how to spell colour... :?

G'day, eh, neighbour!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:59 pm 

:lol:

Old force of habit.