It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:56 pm 

I am wanting to clear out some of my existing landscaping plants, mostly various different types of shrubs and transplant them at my friends new house. She has very little landscaping that came with her new home and what I have is getting too crowded and overgrown. (the plants are getting too large for their intended space and I have not trimmed them due to the impending removal)
So I thought this would be a good way to put the ones that need removing from my house to good use, plus give her something nice for her new home. Since it is getting late in the year, should we wait until spring to do the transplanting or is now a good time? The plants are probably about 2-3 years old that need removing and are all planted either next to the house or in area about 3-4 ft from the house itself.

I am assuming her planting area will need tending to with special soil, additives, etc. before we do anything. Normally the new houses, the soil is not very good. I think she has black clay on bottom mix with light sand on top.

So basically, we are looking for suggestions and help on when is a good time to do this, what should we do to the soil in the planting area at her house? I will be relocating the remaining plants at my house to fill in the gaps and/or put in something new come spring.
Thank you, Christy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:06 pm 

Christy-
What a good person you are! This is a heavy job so try to have some strong silent types around.
First she should prepare her beds. The recommendations are all over this site so I won't go into detail. Check the drainage to ensure you don't have/create a problem at her house. I would do a scratch design once you get the beds prepared to layout what is going where and the proper spacing. You are a good judge of this because you have seen how much they grow in 2-3 years. Also, make sure the orientation to the sun is correct. Her front yard may face differently than yours.
Next you should mark what plants are going from your house with a ribbon or such before you dig. Stand back and visualize what your landscape will look like when these plants are gone. Move/remove the ribbons accordingly. I'm going to guess that the root balls you dig will need about a basketball to a bushel basket in size. Do you have containers this size? If not you can wrap in burlap.
Use the planting instructions on this site and you should have no problems.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:24 pm 

Tony,
Thanks so much for the quick response. I know this going to be a big job. Do you think we should wait until spring or is it okay to attempt this so late in the season?

Christy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:55 pm 

Fall is the best time to transplant. If your plants still have some good foliage I would give them a good drink of seaweed. Seaweed works as a root stimulator and is loaded with nutrients. If you feed them now they can take in the nutrients and store them for early spring use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:01 pm 

I agree with EMH, this is prime season for planting and the seaweed is a good product to apply but I would wait till the first frost or two before I began digging any plants up. During this dormant stage you don't have to worry about interrupting any top growth. After you get them back into the ground the roots will continue to develop, getting them ready for spring. Don't forget to water if we have a dry winter.
Tony M