It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:10 pm 

Does anyone know the parent who converted her kid's elementary school in Dallas to totally organic?
She spoke at one of Howard's seminars a while back. We have moved recently and I cannot find any info about her successful program.
I just had a meeting with the school district about their pesticide use and wanted to show that it could be done.

If anyone knows her name or the name of the school, I would greatly appreciate it!!!!

Thanks.

Felicia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:04 pm 

Hi Felica-
Her name is Kathe Kitchens and she is very active on this forum. Just scan down the subjects for her name or go to the memberlist to find her. She may even respond before you get a chance to look her up.
Tony M

Post subject: Organics in the Schools
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 5:54 pm 

Right-O! Tony knows me well. I PM'd her with info on how to find me. Thanks, Tony, you're a great guy.
:lol: Kathe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:26 pm 

Kathe is certainly an inspiration. :D Who said one person could not make a difference? I hope all of you with kids in school will jump on this bandwagon. But hey, it does not have to stop there. What about your church, synagogue or other place of worship? The place where you work? Anywhere you go on a regular basis.
8)
The main thing here is to not go in verbally bashing chemicals, but to present the facts in a caring, thoughtful manner. First, I would suggest asking what kind of program they use for pest control.
If their answer is not earth kind, ask them if they would be willing to let you offer some safer alternatives. The same gentle techniques should be used on the subject of fertilizer use. Inquire about the products they use for grounds keeping. Again, if the answer is not earth kind, ask if they would be interested in lowering their water bills and have fewer problems with pest and disease. If they resist, just smile and politely thank them for their time. This does not mean that you must give up, you may just need to find a different approach. Keep your eyes and ears open to any difficulties they may have.
When I worked for JCPenney as a custom decorator, there was a trail of ants in our department going to some cookies we kept in the desk. The next day, I brought in some orange oil and water in a spray bottle. I used it on the ants and they soon died. People would come by and ask “What is that smell? It smells good.” I would explain what I had done and why. The reactions I got were interesting, all of them positive.
:)
I am sure Kathe would be happy to share her experiences with you. Most likely, she could tell you more about getting through to people. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Organics in Schools
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:02 pm 

Thanks for the "atta-boy" Nadine. YOu will be happy to know that Felicia and I are at work on putting a pilot program together for her school. We'll let you know how it goes.

Nadine is right. Working within the system in a tempered manner with facts and persistence is the way to make it work. It took me two years to get DISD to listen, but they did. Wherever you are, wherever you see the potential to introduce organic or natural alternatives, do it. People really do take note. It's the old "kill 'em with kindness" approach.

Anyone out there who would like our help, just ask. We will help you any way we can, and that doesn't just mean lip service, that means real, actual hands on working with you. We're out here and we're not hard to find. :D

Kathe

Post subject: Re: Organics in Schools
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:15 pm 

Kathe Kitchens wrote:

Anyone out there who would like our help, just ask. We will help you any way we can, and that doesn't just mean lip service, that means real, actual hands on working with you. We're out here and we're not hard to find. :D

Kathe

Believe Kathe when she states 'Anyone out there who would like our help, just ask'. Pamzilla, from Hubbard, Texas asked for help with the Salem Luthern Church cementary and we responded. The church wanted to use MSMA which is a no-no in the organic community. Kathe got a group of people together and we went down to rescue the cementary. We had a great time spreading and digging. I think I even heard faint 'Thank You's" :lol: , from the cementary residents, while Nadine, and I, were spreading the clover seed.
So just ask, we're here to help.

Post subject: gettin' on the team
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:02 am 

Wellllll.......chuckfranke started it, but we finished it. So we need to find a new project or two, or three, or....for next year. I bet it won't be hard to find some! :lol: :lol:
Kathe