It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Grasses of Texas
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:06 pm 

Hello! A new transplant from R.I. It seems that TX has different grasses planted for different seasons? In the front of the house there is more bare spots than grass all through the summer. A little left to the front is some pretty grass and looked good all summer. It reminds me of a vine type grass; new growth grows on each side and trails over the ground. The remainder of our 1.5 acre lot is junk. Bunch of weeds. So, now I see green grass growing up in front yard that was bare all summer! Exactly what type of grass is needed in our yard, especially the front? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:32 pm 

You don't mention at all where you live. Texas is a big place, unlike RI, so different plants grow in different places.

In general it is safe to say that St Augustine is a good grass for you most anywhere in Texas. It will turn brown where the soil temps get below 50 degrees F in the winter, so sometimes people will overseed with rye grass.

Here's an easy way to manage your turf, be it weeds or grasses.

1. Water deeply and infrequently. In the summer this means watering once a week for an hour at a time. In the winter you should water once a month for an hour at a time. This is to keep the soil microbes happy.

2. Set your mower for the grass you want to encourage. If you want St Augustine, set it at the top setting and never change it. If you want bermuda to thrive, set it low and never change it. Mow weekly and never bag your clippings so you can return your newly clipped nitrogen and sugars back to the soil.

3. Fertilize regularly. If you use organic fertilizer, I apply in Feb, July, and Sept to keep things green.

This simple management program will maximize the health of the soil and will encourage grasses to thrive and weeds to die. Read the FAQ on the Lawns forum for more details.