It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My smelly compost...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:26 pm 

Ok... I started a compost pile this winter and for months been adding vegetation from the kitchen. Other than just adding to it, I've done absolutely nothing.
But someone reminded me it needs to be turned so when I did so two weeks ago, it smelled so bad!!! Like a nasty diaper.
I added tons of leaves and turned it again a week later and it didn't smell as bad as earlier but it stilled smelled yucky.
What can I do about removing the smell?

I learned my lesson to add more browns and don't forget weekly turning. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:32 pm 

you need to add some sugar...molasses works well...that will heat the pile up and cook the smell out of it.

"A righteous person who is wise resembles God: he never disciplines anyone in order to take vengeance upon a wrongdoing, but only so that the person may be set aright, or that others may be deterred."
-St Isaac of Syria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:47 pm 

The most common solution to a stinky compost pile is to add more carbon materials. Leaves are generally made up of a lot of carbon and it is understandable that they helped your situation. Saw dust, twigs, bark, shredded cardboard, pine needles, hay, and straw are other carbon sources that might be readily available to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:07 am 

The smell is caused by anaerobic decomposition. Your compost isn't getting enough air. Just keep turning it regularly to aerate it, and the smell will go away and stay away. Keep in mind that turning it also allows it to dry out faster, so be sure to keep it moist (but not saturated) for all those little beneficial microbes! :wink:

Also, I keep a layer of mulch (grass clippings, leaves, shredded paper, whatever's available) on top of mine to keep the fresh additions covered so that they don't attract rats, cats, or other pests. That helps keep it moist too.

Michelle