It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Compost cooled down
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:51 pm 

I went to a compost class sponsored by the City of Euless and got a free compost bin and thermometer. I made it just like they said and it heated up well for the first two weeks. Then it cooled down to 80 degrees and won't seem to heat up again. I put a layer of leaves, then alfalfa hay and cotton seed meal then more leaves. I have turned and watered it and still no heat. Got any ideas to make it start to work again?

Post subject: Re: Compost cooled down
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:56 am 

kittyfern wrote:
...I have turned and watered it and still no heat. Got any ideas to make it start to work again?

Congratulations on taking the time to educate yourself! That was surely time well spent.

Your compost "pile" is working. The heating process is good to kill off any pathogens and weed seed that might be present. But, your pile doesn't have to be "hot" to continue to do its job. There are other life forms which are at work. You are doing the right things by "feeding" the pile and by adding moisture and air (by turning).

Unless you have some restrictions in your neighborhood, I would recommend using the contents of your bin to start a free standing "pile". These piles are easier (for me) to work with ie. add new food stuffs, turn, water, etc. You are also not restricted as to the volume you can work with.

I rarely harvest from my pile, which is 10+ years old. I simply use it as a tool to dispose of my wastes. It is pretty interesting to see that the pile maintains a pretty constant size considering everything that has gone into it over the years.