It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:06 pm 

Is it acceptable to put used peanut oil and bad milk in the compost pile? I wanted to ask the question before I did something I would regret.

Post subject: Peanut Oil and Milk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:52 pm 

I don't see any real problems with Milk but I'm unsure of the Peanut OIL.

On the original container, are there any warnings or directions on how to dispose of the product?

I would assume, because it's an OIL, there would be a concern about blocking out air and water....but then what do I know; I can't afford the stuff for do'n a turkey justice. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:51 pm 

According to the great compost author Malcolm Beck, you can compost almost anything that onced lived!

I would add any old milk or old veggie oil products to a hot active compost pile. Just make sure that at least 75% of the pile is a large amount of normal, safe, "greens" and "browns" like leaves, grass clippings, normal protein and carbohydrate food scraps, etc.

The beneficial aerobic microbes in a large healthy hot active pile can survive and digest almost any plant/animal matter that you add to the pile. Just make sure you only add small amounts at a time to the large piles.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: Oil or milk in compost
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:11 pm 

Agreed, Cap'n and yes, you can compost both. The key is exactly as the Cap'n said - the right amount of greens & browns. I compost my kitchen oil, just in small amounts each time.

Hey, if you have a lot of peanut oil, call a biodiesel company and see if they want to BUY it! They will!

Kathe

Post subject: Thank You
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:42 pm 

Thanks Zipper, Captain, and Kathe. It's great to have friends that I haven't even had the opportunity to meet yet, willing to jump in and offer advise so quickly, sorry I haven't responded sooner as I've been away from my computer. The best way to afford peanut oil is to go in with neighbors on the oil and invite them over BYOT (bring your own turkey), and cook them back to back while shooting the breeze. The oil dosen't mention any disposal instructions, but it does have dimethylpolysiloxane added as an anti-foaming agent, because of the dimethylpolysiloxane I think I'll leave it out of my compost and just find someone who could use approx. 5 gallons for bio-diesel. Thanks again!